Discuss Fitting an outside halogen light,best practice? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

vaughant

Hi all,I've got one of these to fit and although it comes with an ip rated fitting I'm curious to know if it's best practice to fit it this way?
I have several lengths of good swa off cuts from my previous work and gland kits to suit but I'll be powering the lamp from upstairs which will mean drilling through the wall hence I think the swa would be a good move.
When I've done these in the past I used conduit and a skintop to keep the ip rating and keep it all waterproofed which was fine and still is but I'm wondering what's best practice to use for these as it's not a job I've done very often and I'm wondering whether swa would be overkill?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and thanks in advance!!!

My only thought is Halogen flood? .... stop fitting those years ago not worth all the lamp changes ...LED 30w or 50w now everytime dependant on coverage.

My only thought is Halogen flood? .... stop fitting those years ago not worth all the lamp changes ...LED 30w or 50w now everytime dependant on coverage.

Hmmm,sounds good as those lamps do seem to fail regularly.
How about the cable issue though?
Stick with the lamps ip gland and flex or swa?
Just thinking about it going through the wall and keeping the cable protected.

If you buy the new LED Flood lights there ment to be wired back to an adaptable box, so I would drill through the wall as planned and come out with twin and earth into the back to the IP box.... Then stuffing gland and flex to the floodlight.

If where you drill out isn't in the correct place, then Black plastic conduit into the IP box where ever the light is needed

SWA is overkill. black flex clipped, or in pvc tube if required. if tubed, go to a 4 x 4 ad. box with tube and run flex through box into fitting.

as said the led floods come with a ft of flex on them so, adaptable box or rewire it .. dont worry about the weight of house crushing the cable,

Reply to Fitting an outside halogen light,best practice? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock