Discuss Fitting new cu on old installation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Penance

Family member has asked about having a new cu installed.
The old installation only has one ring supplying up and down sockets and also only one lighting circuit. They don't want a rewire.
So long as all testing is ok prior to the change is there any reason it should not be done?
I know it's not ideal but can't find anything to say it shouldn't have new cu fitted.

ill second mudock here if the RCD trips you loose everything RCBO's you only loose one circuit PCP do a nice little board for about £20.00 and the RCBO's are £14.00 so a good price , dont forget this work is notifiable too

You could use this as your work to be inspected for the scheme. You then have 21 days to register it (assuming you pass) and can avoid having to PAY the LABC fee then.

Hi nick, aware it's notifiable and work won't commence until I am scam registered.

thats cool mate just pointing it out like topquark says use it as you scheme application work

opps what a muppet it should say CPC not PCP that sounds like a mouth wash here there link but check out the sales leaflts the CDU's are in there http://cpc.farnell.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Good man, when you're assessed you can give good reasons for going down the RCBO route, too many people don't consider RCBO's when they are the obvious solution, especially with "small" CU's. I'd also ensure that you have one or 2 spare slots for future expansion.

Good luck and don't forget to assess/upgrade the main bonding where appropriate.

Will be using my house for that hopefully but good idea.
My house is taking ages due to other stuff so it may be handy to use the other cu change.

Reply to Fitting new cu on old installation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net