Discuss Fitting new electric cooker to existing circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

lecky_bob

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an range cooker which is electric oven with gas hob. It has a standard 13A plug on it. It is fitted in an "island" in the middle of the kitchen. The cooker needs replacing and I want to check how many Amps I can go to on the circuit.

There is a dedicated 32A microcircuit breaker in the fuse box just for this connection, clearly marked 'cooker'. In the "island" there is are a pair of standard ring main cables (2.5mm2?) going to a single plug socket. In other words it a ring main of one socket? (As opposed to a spur, with just one cable)

What is the maximum Amp cooker I should be able to use?

Thanks

buy a new cooker with a plug on it.

Without proper test of the circuit, you would be guessing. So post 2 would be my advice too

Is the socket just a standard single way power socket? These are rated at 13A.

Yes that is correct. A standard 13A power socket.

However, I wondering if I get someone in, can that socket be changed to give me more amps? The one thing I can not easily (or cheaply) change is the run of two cables from the fuse box to the island.

Thanks

Is the socket just a standard single way power socket? These are rated at 13A.

Have you fully tested the circuit, to make sure it only wires to this socket and that it is safe to use?
Why change it if the cooker you are getting may just have a standard plug? Do you know what cooker you are getting?

Reply to Fitting new electric cooker to existing circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net