Discuss Fitting smokes in dual rcd board? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

aaronstuart

Been asked to fit 2 smokes in a small house, landing and hallway interlinked, I usually put them on own rcbo BUT....

The cu was fitted by another spark ( a dual rcd ) no spare ways, and with downstairs ring on one side and upstairs ring on the other....
Problem is you can't fit smokes on same side as socket outlets, when o n same rcd.......

What are my options?

Many Thanks

Also I fit heat detectors in extensions where there is a bedroom above the garage, but does it have to be installed?

Last edited by a moderator:
not heard the rule that you cant fit smoke circuits on same side as sockets?? We split the 2 ring mains and the lighting circuits in the new 17 edition boards. the obvious reason being you dont lose toal power all over the house.

You haven't posted the arragments of the board but there is a way I can think of but may not be the cheapest?

You could rearrange the circuits on one side of the board and use seperate RCBO's for circuits?

Not sure if they still have battery operated smoke alarms anymore?

By the sounds of it you need a bigger board or run a seperate sub board?

Spark who fitted it should have allowed for the prevision of extra circuits!

If you had a spare way you could have placed the smokes on their own 30mA RCBO before the RCD circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the idea was that the smokes were on the lighting circuit rather than the sockets so that it was obvious if the circuit had tripped, ie. the lights wouldn't work and you would definately notice at some point in the day. Wouldn't it be OK to put them on an RCD which fed BOTH the lighting and the sockets.

I offer this as food for though only since I am not a qualified sparky. Don't rip it to bits too much guys :)

we always run a seperate feed in for the smokes to the board and then bob it in the same MCB as the downstairs lights, for the standard houses we work in its 1 in the hallway and 1 on the landing, when asked for a heat detector in the kitchen and garage.

before the 17th edition I was always told to put the smoke alarms in with one of the lighting circuits on the non rcd side of the board so they could not turn the fuse off when people get sick of them going off. Now i'am guessing they have to be on there own rcd to save nuisence tripping of other circuits

what would you do if the installation was a TT, with a 100ma main switch then?

You could still use 100mA 's' Type main switch and a seperate 30mA RCBO for smokes. Just means that all circuits would have to be 30 mA RCBO's

You could still use 100mA 's' Type main switch and a seperate 30mA RCBO for smokes. Just means that all circuits would have to be 30 mA RCBO's

Does the TT system still require a 100ma switch now that all circuits require 30ma protection now ??

Does the TT system still require a 100ma switch now that all circuits require 30ma protection now ??

I think there has been quite some debate about this subject before and mixed views.

Personally I would keep it in the CU for correct isolation i.e. both DP L-N and 100mA Time delayed for discrimination.

What do others think about this?

Absolutely bog standard 100amp double pole isolation is required but the 100ma is never going to trip before everything else is it ??

Absolutely bog standard 100amp double pole isolation is required but the 100ma is never going to trip before everything else is it ??

Not quite sure what you mean?

I think if all the circuits in the TT installation are protected by either 30mA RCD's or 30mA RCBO's then there isn't the need for the RCD 100mA at the front end and you could just use a standard Islaotor. Any circuit leakage should be picked up in the individual circuits.

Not quite sure what you mean?

I think if all the circuits in the TT installation are protected by either 30mA RCD's or 30mA RCBO's then there isn't the need for the RCD 100mA at the front end and you could just use a standard Islaotor. Any circuit leakage should be picked up in the individual circuits.

Thats exactly what i meant, thanks O phycic one

i allways put smoke alarms on lighting crt even though now with the new 17th they should be on their own crt because if it trips no one would notice and there for wouldnt turn them back on or if they got a nuisance alarm they would turn them off , and smoke alarms really do make a differance between life and death.

I think you can still put the smokes on a lighting circuit, providing it is a seperately electrically protective circuit i.e. a seperate RCBO covering a lighting circuit and smoke alarms?

Reply to Fitting smokes in dual rcd board? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock