Discuss Fitting Sockets. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I guess you could file this under hints and tips.

When you're installing a socket the worst part, for me at least, is pushing it into place
and keeping it there while you tighten the screws. That means bending the cables,
however many there are. It can be quite a feat of strength and and a bit nerve racking.
I have actually cracked a few new sockets in the past and had to replace again.
I use pointed nose pliars to bend them but it's still a pain and a struggle.

What do you guys do? Is there a special pair of pliars available for this purpose?
Bending the cables? I did see something on the net a while ago but can't find it now.
Should have bought one when I saw it I suppose.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

tip 1. use 35mm back box.
tip 2. cut cables long enough to manouvre, but not so long as to struggle to get them in.
tip3. never allow customer to buyflat plate gimmicky accessories.
Thanks. Anything when it comes to actually bending the cables? Even 2.5mm can be a challenge when you have 6 of them (plus 3 earth) to get in there.

Never really hand an issue folding cables back, just ensure they are cut to the correct length, not too short and not too long...
3 x 2.5s in a single 25mm back box takes a little practice but is achievable.

a good impact driver to screw the face plates on also helps...

Cant say I've ever had a problem where faceplates have cracked. Ensure box is deep enough and dont bend them all the same way.
Tighten screws evenly (ie dont wind the RH one all the way in first)
I tend to find that more often than not I don't have a choice when it comes to backbox. Or cable length.

Never really hand an issue folding cables back, just ensure they are cut to the correct length, not too short and not too long...
3 x 2.5s in a single 25mm back box takes a little practice but is achievable.

a good impact driver to screw the face plates on also helps...
Shame on you Impact driver to screw a face plate back, stand in the corner for the rest of the day.

Never had a problem with cracking a socket. When you say 6 do you mean 6 separate cables or 3 twin and earths? I cut enough to fold the cable neatly into the back of the socket. Sometimes it's tight but with careful maneuvering I've always been able to make it fit. Flat plate accesories always cause problems so avoid them wherever possible.

Just to add, I see a lot of people using impact drivers on faceplates now. I have not and will not ever use them. A screwdriver is always enough for me.

If you're having to use force to get the socket lined up at the front then your pushing the cables hard against the back box and risk damaging them whether it's a steel or plastic box.

As others have said, don't cut the cables too long, bend them up to the back of the socket before fitting.
Same applies to switches and any other accessories

I've never cracked a socket fitting it and I'm retired now.

Never had a problem with cracking a socket. When you say 6 do you mean 6 separate cables or 3 twin and earths? I cut enough to fold the cable neatly into the back of the socket. Sometimes it's tight but with careful maneuvering I've always been able to make it fit. Flat plate accesories always cause problems so avoid them wherever possible.

Just to add, I see a lot of people using impact drivers on faceplates now. I have not and will not ever use them. A screwdriver is always enough for me.
3 Twin and earth. The earth lines are usually an easier prospect because they're not formally insulated and are smaller. It's the line and neutral that give the grief. I wouldn't use anything other than hand force. Ilike to have the plate in contact with the box before I offer up the screws.

If you're having to use force to get the socket lined up at the front then your pushing the cables hard against the back box and risk damaging them whether it's a steel or plastic box.

As others have said, don't cut the cables too long, bend them up to the back of the socket before fitting.
Same applies to switches and any other accessories

I've never cracked a socket fitting it and I'm retired now.
I seldom have a choice as to cable length and I am not inclined to shorten them but rather leave them be.
Cables that are too short can be equally troublesome. What did you use to bend the cables? So as to avoid having to put pressure on the plate. I guess is my question.

Bending the cables into the back of a box to give clearance for the spreads is bad enough if the cables where 6" long the spread would cut them shorter. ?

nobody yet mentioned the trusty hammer?

I seldom have a choice as to cable length and I am not inclined to shorten them but rather leave them be.
Cables that are too short can be equally troublesome. What did you use to bend the cables? So as to avoid having to put pressure on the plate. I guess is my question.
I have never used a tool bend cables, using pliers can damage the insulation, as others have said dress in tha cables neatly with your hands and you should not have a problem.

As I wrote initially I did see a pair of pliars on the net some time ago.
It had one jaw that was basically round and tapered and the other was
U shaped that the tapered on went into. The idea being that you could
put a bend in a cable without stressing out the insulation too much.
Once teh bend is in the cable it woud be easy to push the plate back.
Has anyone seen this?

I always use the mark 1.0 finger and thumb combination for forming small cables like that, anything else is likely to damage them.

Reply to Fitting Sockets. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock