Discuss Fix for Broken Dishwasher Switch in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
A while ago the plastic switch that turns our dishwasher on/off came loose. We worked out wedging a paperclip into the switch held it in place and stopped the dishwasher from switching off. However, a few days ago after wiggling the paperclip back into place, I believe it caused some kind of short circuit around the switch area as there was a burning smell and eventually a pop and now the dishwasher does not turn back on.

I unscrewed the front panel today and can see the on/off switch is charred/burned so I am pretty sure this is what happened :

Fix for Broken Dishwasher Switch {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I think finding a replacement switch could prove difficult, and I don't really want to pay for anything more expensive than that. I was thinking the cheapest solution would be to join whichever of the four wires shown in the picture above that would keep the dishwasher on, seal with electric tape, then use the mains switch to turn the dishwasher on/off. Which of these wires would I have to join to achieve this? If you think my solution is really not a good idea, what would be a better one?

Thank you in advance !

That looks more like it's been caused by a prolonged poor connection, either a loose push on terminal or a bad connection within the switch itself, or maybe the 'wedge' was preventing the switching from making properly and caused this.

You may be able to find a replacement switch on-line, there are lots of spares available, BUT those terminations will need to be remade properly as they will undoubtedly have been heat cycled somewhat and may not provide a sufficiently good connection (meaning you'll get a quick repeat of this).

Hi John - in my opinion it would a fire risk if you try to fix it that way. The machine may have another fault causing the heating and this should be assessed by an experienced repairer. If there is no other underlying fault the damaged component, connectors and cables should be replaced.

In all honesty and with due respect that's an awful db potentially dangerous idea

Thank you for everyones responses, in hindsight the paperclip was not a good idea, and looks like a quick fix with electrical tape is also a no no. Will call the helpline number for the manufacturer tomorrow, though am not getting my hopes up for a cheap solution from them. Otherwise appliance fixer or if he is too expensive maybe just a new dishwasher as it was a cheap one anyway.

If it were my dishwasher, I’d forget trying to find an original on/off , instead I’d fit one of these in the free space of the plastic front panel.......
Fix for Broken Dishwasher Switch 189EAC6B-AA89-4B06-8A30-9A88E2B19FA1 - EletriciansForums.net
Looking at your photo it appears to be switching live and neutral (double pole switch), also you’d need new crimp connections attached and the burnt wire cut back to good wire...
But if your not fully competent then don’t do it yourself!
Like I say, if it were my dishwasher, that’s what I’d do but I have the skill and necessary tools and equipment to check and carry out the repair

"Looking at your photo it appears to be switching live and neutral (double pole switch), also you’d need new crimp connections attached and the burnt wire cut back to good wire...
But if your not fully competent then don’t do it yourself!
Like I say, if it were my dishwasher, that’s what I’d do but I have the skill and necessary tools and equipment to check and carry out the repair"

I am thinking about giving this a try. In order to do it safely, other than the switch, what are the exact components and tools I would need bearing in mind I am also trying to fix this for the minimum amount of money? It would be great to fix it and have some tools and experience at the end of it I could use again.

basically, all you need is a 2 pole 16A switch , the tools to fix it in place and repair to the damaged cable. a couple of spade crimps and the tool to crimp onto the cables. a multimeter to determine which terminal is which and which wire goes where. a simple job for the likes of us, but beware if doing it yourself, a poor connection would end up like it is now or worse. strongly suggest getting an electrician or a good appliance repairman to do this.

Just to add to the above. If you replace the switch with another switch which is not approved for the machine by the manufacturers (E.G. same switch) then if anything does wrong with the dishwasher, like catches fire, then it is your responsibility.

Do I really need a replacement switch for a safe fix? It wouldn't really matter to me if the machine was on standby all the time / simply turned on/off at the mains. Could I not just use a multimeter and a simple junction box to join the appropriate wires? I doubt I will be able to find a switch that fits the exact hole in the plastic casing, so wouldn't that in itself be dangerous as water could penetrate through gaps? Without a switch, I guess the fix would be cheaper and much easier to make that hole for the switch water-tight.

Reply to Fix for Broken Dishwasher Switch in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock