Discuss Fixed installation back to a plug or fused spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Oli

-
Reaction score
I have been asked to fit a set of electric gates and some garden lighting to a property. I'm working behind the guy doing the indoor electrics. He is talking about me wiring the gates back to a plug and the garden lighting to a fused spur. Question is do I issue a minor works certificate for both?
They are fixed installations, the lighting back to the fused spur seems like I would but do I need to do the same for the gate going back to a plug, is it even OK for a fixed installation to be wired back to a plug?
Many thanks for any help on this,
Oli

I wouldn't class anything wired back to a plug as 'fixed installation'.

I'd be happier if they were both going back to fcus and you provide mwc for each, as they sound independent bits of work

I agree they are separate and would require two mwc, also agree fused spur is preferable.
Are we saying taking a gate installation back to a plug is just a no no and fit the damn spur.
I was at a gate motor course a few months back and was surprised by the amount of non electricians fittings gates back to plugs.
Thanks for your replies

I think the gates are considered a fixed installation irrespective of whether the final connection is via a plug.

The test is still relevant and covers all bases, even though in theory they could be plugged into a power supply that differs from the one you test.. But then, all you can do is test as it is presented to you on the day you test.

Bit odd to go back to a plug, but not really a problem so far as I can see. Having said that, out of interest, why a plug? What is the thinking/benefit?

Rough as.

Install an Isolator and have a bit of pride in your work.

You say others fit plugs? Don’t be a sheep then and do a proper job. Separate yourself as a man in a trade full of boys.

It sounds like his gaffer told him to fit the plug...

I jut want to know why :) Why would anyone choose a plug for something as undeniably 'fixed' as a set of gates??

I always fit an Isolator near the gate position.
Got to speak to the guy doing the indoor stuff today for the first time, turns out he was told to by someone else who quoted for the gate before me. He seems to think that some gate suppliers think you don't need to be qualified if you fit it back to a plug, can that be right?
He is fitting a fused spur for me.

Not good practice, however if this is more widespread I wonder if the gate installers are fitting a plugtop so as to detach themselves from working on a fixed installation? Possibly there are limitations to their liability insurance and this may be seen as a work around.

I have been asked to fit a set of electric gates and some garden lighting to a property. I'm working behind the guy doing the indoor electrics. He is talking about me wiring the gates back to a plug and the garden lighting to a fused spur. Question is do I issue a minor works certificate for both?
They are fixed installations, the lighting back to the fused spur seems like I would but do I need to do the same for the gate going back to a plug, is it even OK for a fixed installation to be wired back to a plug?
Many thanks for any help on this,
Oli
Minor Works Certs are for alterations, NOT additions

On p466 of the BBB in the notes regarding the Minor Works Cert it states that "The Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate is intended to be used for additions and alterations to an installation that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit. Examples include the addition of socket-outlets or lighting points to an existing circuit, the relocation of a light switch etc."

So it would seem that the Minor Works Cert may be able to be issued for some additions?

Tim

On p466 of the BBB in the notes regarding the Minor Works Cert it states that "The Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate is intended to be used for additions and alterations to an installation that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit. Examples include the addition of socket-outlets or lighting points to an existing circuit, the relocation of a light switch etc."

So it would seem that the Minor Works Cert may be able to be issued for some additions?

Tim
Well putting it like that then yes I tend to agree, suppose it depends on the addition, but in defence of my statement you never actually said it was an addition, just extending a circuit from a new Fused spur, which as you mentioned the indoor guy was supplying for you, maybe you should ask him to supply the certification? is the Bloke supplying the Spur an Electrician, or Bert from down the Pub?

Last edited:
Minor Works Certs are for alterations, NOT additions
Just to clarify " an addition of a new circuit" NOT an addition to an EXISTING circuit, which in the case you are describing is not that clear.

Well putting it like that then yes I tend to agree, suppose it depends on the addition, but in defence of my statement you never actually said it was an addition, just extending a circuit from a new Fused spur, which as you mentioned the indoor guy was supplying for you, maybe you should ask him to supply the certification? is the Bloke supplying the Spur an Electrician, or Bert from down the Pub?
Although the electrical certificate should go to the person ordering the work it should be no problem that a copy can be forwarded on.

He is adding the fused spur which will be part of his certification, it's a new circuit, but I was going to issue a MWC for what I will add after the spur.

Reply to Fixed installation back to a plug or fused spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock