Discuss fixing a bathroom fan into tiled wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

amlu

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
got a fan to fix into a wall, wall is tiled high up to the ceiling.
how to do it? drill between tiles/drill tiles? special drill bits?
silicone/gripfill? :)

drill the walltiles using a masonry bit with hammer OFF......wall tiles are as soft as s**te...so just go steady with a 5.5mm masonry bit....should be ok...once through the tiles...hammer on and drill in the normal fashion.....red plugs and 8 gauge screws to finish..
happy days..

If through the wall is your only option it's best to use a diamond tipped core drill bit. You have to be careful that you wont hit any obstacles or lintels etc. Set the drill in reverse till you get through the ceramic then away you go.core drill bit - Google Search

Sorry I thought you meant fitting through the wall.

Last edited:
really? i would have thought it's hard to get a masonry bit started on a smooth tile without it wandering all over the place?
no.....you start steady....support the drill (both hands)...after a few seconds the drill bit will `spot` the tile....then its steady pressure through....the key here is to ensure the drill is square to the face of the tile when drilling.....

If u find it wandering stick tape to the tile 1st
again I ask can you not put it in the ceiling.
The reason I say this, a wall mounted extractor fan is very rarely hard up against the ceiling and usually a few inches away. What then happens is all the steam doesn't get sucked out and you end up with a mouldy ceiling.
I ceiling fitted fan solves this problem
it also solves the problem of having to drill a 4" hole from the inside which causes masses of dust and no broken tiles, it is also easier to get power to it.
good luck whichever you choose

If u find it wandering stick tape to the tile 1st
again I ask can you not put it in the ceiling.
The reason I say this, a wall mounted extractor fan is very rarely hard up against the ceiling and usually a few inches away. What then happens is all the steam doesn't get sucked out and you end up with a mouldy ceiling.
I ceiling fitted fan solves this problem
it also solves the problem of having to drill a 4" hole from the inside which causes masses of dust and no broken tiles, it is also easier to get power to it.
good luck whichever you choose
well..you could....put it on the ceiling that is....but be sure its designed to fit that way first.....some of the cheaper fans...manrose etc...are not designed to fit vertically...so the fan blade eventually spins of the shaft of the motor.lol...

and if its the 4" hole for the terminal your worried about....then same as the masonry bit....dont forget that wall tiles are soft....a 4" core will sail through...once its started that is...

or you can but tile drills as pilots. a few quid from the orange shed.

As tel said, a 5.5mm tile bit is a worthy investment for a few quid.Likleyhood is you wont use it much so unless you loose it, it will last for years. Really pointy tip doesn't skid and blades cuts through tiles in seconds. (Although I used a normal masonry for years with no hassle)
If you've gotta core a 4" through the wall I'd use a tile bit lots of times in a circle till I've cut the tile away, then a diamond core bit through the wall. (Although I might try the reverse trick next time)

I do as above drill through tile with 5.5 with hammer off then once through hammer as normal. Also I've heard of the tape tip to help stop slipping when drilling the tile.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Tile bits and go steady, masonary bits work well but use good ones. Whatever bit I use I tend to dunk them in water every so often to keep them cool so they last longer. SDS on hammer would be a little over the top... :lol:

As tel said, a 5.5mm tile bit is a worthy investment for a few quid.Likleyhood is you wont use it much so unless you loose it, it will last for years. Really pointy tip doesn't skid and blades cuts through tiles in seconds. (Although I used a normal masonry for years with no hassle)
If you've gotta core a 4" through the wall I'd use a tile bit lots of times in a circle till I've cut the tile away, then a diamond core bit through the wall. (Although I might try the reverse trick next time)
problem with doing it like this is the segments of dimond on the core will just grab the tile where you`v drilled it with the tile drill..no good, it will just either rip the tile off the wall...or crack it..better to just core it steadily so it cuts smoothly....the odd squert of water out of an old washing up liquid bottle to the cutting area from time to time wont hurt either....

Lubrication, I like a bit of lubrication... :lol:

Reply to fixing a bathroom fan into tiled wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net