Discuss fixing heavy external light fittings to false celing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sorry im fitting a light in an office with a suspended ceiling the light is heavy and is going to be surface mounted what is the best way of fixing it. mostly do domestic work

How heavy is quite heavy?, cos Im quite heavy in comparison to a shrew, and the shrew is quite heavy in comparison to a vole, however, a vole is quite heavy in comparison to an ant and an ant is quite heavy .........all the way down to the sub atomic level where really odd things start to happen.:ihih:

If it's Heavy, timber or unistrut across the ceiling grid surrounding the tile.

If its Very Heavy, timber or unistrut across the grid supports or chains to the structure above.

If it's Very Very Heavy, Unistrut supported on threaded rod clamped to the roof structure above.

If it's increadibly heavy don't bother.

So, heavy = 2x small dogs + 1 bag of sugar and some sand in a flower pot.

But to be serious, I tried to google armstrong suspended ceilings max weight and the answer is....."its not that simple"

So do as above.....

How heavy is it? If its one of those large multiple lamp, decorative central office lights then the best answer is below.

Unistrut fixed above ceiling void, then threaded rod down through tiles into fittings.

Having a "No win,No fee" against you for killing 6 office staff at the start of the new year is not good.

Last year I did a part re-wire of a No win,No fee solicitors office and OMG did I check everything twice, three times lol.

Come on Tel, you know better than that......

Thumb tacs for single flo's, blu-tac for double flo's, anything bigger than that requires paper clips in a daisy chain to the ceiling grid :rofl: Just make sure you earth the paper clips lol

ybeza7em.jpg

just use cable ties. the big big ones :)

Yeah Dan I've Dun Dat for temporary flo site lights onto pearlings. It works! Weeks later just snip the ties and use them on the next job if they have'nt been broken by the other trades lol.

I doubt it is that heavy, I expect you could fix it to the ceiling with scissor clips, the ceilings usually have fixings every 1.2 mts anyhow and the tiles weigh literally just ounces, what light is it?

Reply to fixing heavy external light fittings to false celing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net