Discuss fixing heights domestic in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi 2nd attempt writing this! As some of know wiring new house for family member. After great discussion / debate on another thread re those damn extractor fans with timers etc. I've decided to go with wall mounted 1g light switch outside each en suite (customers request as doesn't like pull switches) and the 3 pole isolation switch at low level 450mm as opposed to high level or above the door. Will that comply with BS7671 Regs? I'm going to use a fan whereby the manufacture will not insist on a 3amp fuse.
I'd already chopped in a deep box for a shaver point in 1 en suite at face height when the penny dropped that I had in fact installed it too high. I have now installed it at no higher than 1200mm. I take it height restrictions includes shaver points also.
Now for wall mounted TV points. Many wall mounted TV points to be installed, like a damn hotel! I've installed the boxes so as no higher than 1200mm. I would like to mount them a bit higher really so as to hide the boxes behind the wall mounted TV when installed. Your thoughts,experience appreciated.

We put fan isolator above door or in loft and never had any issues with bc etc
Just being devils advocate here. How would a maintenance guy or indeed another electrician that didn't do original job know that an isolation switch was up in the loft? should it be easily visable, accessible

Family member or customer?

As for where to put accessories.............the section on the eic says " deviations from 7671" or something like that.

Put them where you want.......

Last edited by a moderator:

As for where to put accessories.............the section on the eicr says " deviations from 7671" or something like that.

Yes Family...family member doesn't want pull switches although I did say customer, well spotted though lol. As it's a new build, should there be any deviations?

As you're doing a new install, no, no deviations from BS7671, but then this is building regs (part M). As the iso is for servicing (in theory) then mount above door, otherwise we'll be mounting extractor fans between 450 and 1200 as well!

As for where to put accessories.............the section on the eic says " deviations from 7671" or something like that.

BS7671 doesn't actually cover the heights of accessories, that's all in the building regs. So it wouldn't be a deviation.

As you're doing a new install, no, no deviations from BS7671, but then this is building regs (part M). As the iso is for servicing (in theory) then mount above door, otherwise we'll be mounting extractor fans between 450 and 1200 as well!
Thanks for reply.....If mounted higher, i was going to install them so as to reach them standing on the floor (no steps) The idea of fitting them lower (skt height) so as to be less obstructive.
fans will be ceiling type not in line

Yes Family...family member doesn't want pull switches although I did say customer, well spotted though lol. As it's a new build, should there be any deviations?
Just because it's a newbuilds doesn't exclude it from any deviations........customers have their own idea of what they want and sometimes that conflicts with the regs.....

As for not wanting pull switches, why not go with sensors, saves kids leaving the bathroom lights on.

Fan iso switch in loft, seen it many times.....lazy option but you can't count for customers not wanting trunk or after install plastering.

Just because it's a newbuilds doesn't exclude it from any deviations........customers have their own idea of what they want and sometimes that conflicts with the regs.....

As for not wanting pull switches, why not go with sensors, saves kids leaving the bathroom lights on.

Fan iso switch in loft, seen it many times.....lazy option but you can't count for customers not wanting trunk or after install plastering.

How is it lazy? The idea behind it is for maintenance.

What is the point in having one at all if your not going to have one local to the fan?

The whole job sounds like a right balls up to be honest, no planning and no idea of building or electrical regs, back to the drawing board I reckon, rethink the whole project again, Design is as important as the actual work being carried out.

Appreciate what your saying, but where do we draw the line to what customer wants and what the regs say we must do to comply BS7671 and or Building Regs.

Appreciate what your saying, but where do we draw the line to what customer wants and what the regs say we must do to comply BS7671 and or Building Regs.

well all a electricians work has to comply with BS7671. If the customer in this instance wishes to argue with LABC over the height of accessories that's their problem but it may not get signed off if it doesn't comply.

The whole job sounds like a right balls up to be honest, no planning and no idea of building or electrical regs, back to the drawing board I reckon, rethink the whole project again, Design is as important as the actual work being carried out.
Ok, why is it a balls up. It's a one off job. I'd like to do it as best as i can, hence why i'm asking here. As you can see there are always different ways of doing things. i didn't want a load of electrical accessories outside the en suite doors as they would be on full view from the bedroom.

How is it lazy? The idea behind it is for maintenance.

What is the point in having one at all if your not going to have one local to the fan?
fair point and yes I wasn't thinking of online units.............i am however thinking of another cider and I'd be happy to buy you one spankey
for having intimated your lazy.

Reply to fixing heights domestic in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock