Discuss Fixings in basement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

R G

Got a job on at the moment with 2 basement/cellar rooms and will be starting this area next week , I have advised customer that the sockets will be surface mounted with trunking and wall lights also fitted , the outer walls are obviously tanked and sealed with no signs of any dampness , the question is what type of fixing would anybody recommend for fittings on the outer walls , or would it be best to avoid these walls altogether.?.

I cannot see the tanking , the walls are heavily plastered and all below ground level , I could explore but the existing sockets and light fittings are on other walls not on the outer walls , the house is 150 years old also ...

There is also a sump in the corner of one of the rooms with a pump and float switch , the walls are solid plaster though , I had thought initially that there may be a honeycomb type drainage system in the walls ..

Bit of additional info the ceiling in the basement is exposed joists with lath and plaster on the underside of the floorboards ,so angled spotlights could be fitted on the sides of them , the central wall between the 2 rooms at the moment has 2 storage heaters , sockets and light switches on it , so that wall should be o/k , its just the outer walls that are the issue of new socket outlets , just wondered if anybody has used no more nails or the like and if its any good ?..

I tanked a cellar once about 15 years ago, it was like giant bubblewrap (poor description!)
It was fixed to the wall with giant wall plugs with a bitumen type seal around them. Then the board battens were fixed to them plugs.
You'll have to do some googling to find out more, I spent days at the time!
But, do some discreet digging to find out what the membrane/water barrier consists of, then maybe you could use some of the aforementioned plugs for your fixings.

I tanked a cellar once about 15 years ago, it was like giant bubblewrap (poor description!)
It was fixed to the wall with giant wall plugs with a bitumen type seal around them. Then the board battens were fixed to them plugs.
You'll have to do some googling to find out more, I spent days at the time!
But, do some discreet digging to find out what the membrane/water barrier consists of, then maybe you could use some of the aforementioned plugs for your fixings.
\

Sounds like a good idea, I was thinking of the idea of bitumen roofing seal in a mastic gun and injecting before putting in rawlplugs , will have a look tomorrow , I am still on the 3rd floor at the moment ...

If the walls are solid plaster and of an unknown age then the method of tanking could be anything, including waterproofed render on the walls. I would avoid drilling any holes in it, you'll be first to get blamed if it leaks no matter how much sealant you put in the holes.

Sockets fixed to the exposed beams overhead if they are low enough (most cellars are and this is a common soloution around here)

If the walls are solid plaster and of an unknown age then the method of tanking could be anything, including waterproofed render on the walls. I would avoid drilling any holes in it, you'll be first to get blamed if it leaks no matter how much sealant you put in the holes.

Sockets fixed to the exposed beams overhead if they are low enough (most cellars are and this is a common soloution around here)

That was my thought as well , especially when it looks as though others have avoided fixing to those walls as well, I've partly discussed this already with the customer....

Did a similar job a few years ago and the damp proofers said not to do any drilling through the tanking (that bubble-wrap-alike stuff) as that would invalidate the warranty on the tanking

pj

Just got in and I stuck the patresses on yesterday and they are solid this morning so no problems at all , I had to do the same with some of the sticky back trunking as well , all is good , I noticed where the old service cable comes through the wall that there is what appears to be some salt or residue coming from around the cable , all is o/k on my part though , there is also an osmosis damp unit in use also in the basement , not sure if they are any good , the customer says he has no paperwork or guarantee for the tanking , although because there are no signs of damp at all , it is done well..

In case anyone wants to know , I used Thorseman adhesive from the wholesalers ..

Last edited by a moderator:
criminal_woman_in_chains_by_max3virgin-d3fyn8h.jpg

Just got in and I stuck the patresses on yesterday and they are solid this morning so no problems at all , I had to do the same with some of the sticky back trunking as well , all is good , I noticed where the old service cable comes through the wall that there is what appears to be some salt or residue coming from around the cable , all is o/k on my part though , there is also an osmosis damp unit in use also in the basement , not sure if they are any good , the customer says he has no paperwork or guarantee for the tanking , although because there are no signs of damp at all , it is done well..

In case anyone wants to know , I used Thorseman adhesive from the wholesalers ..

That thoresman any good? Been staring at it for ages but never took the plunge.

I have only two fetishes nowadays - Tidyboiler and Toyota MR2 MK2s.

The Fender Telecaster and Hi-Fi and a "lot of other things" including the Rare Toyota Celica Cabrio. have been relegated!!![/QUOT

Nice cars those , I'm always tinkering , I have a Hymer tag axle motor home and I'm always doing things on that ....

Reply to Fixings in basement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net