Discuss Fixings to kingspan for hanging tray in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

edexlab

-
Arms
Reaction score
I've been asked to look at a method to fix tray hanging via threaded rod or something similar fixed to a kingspan roof , this is not the building roof btw but part of a machine enclosure

Normally I'd punch a small old screwdriver in and use self tappers/tekscrews to fix unistrut and hang it from this,
not the ideal but it does work
( nb punched as it gives a bit more metal surface for the screw to bite on rather than just the thickness of the metal skin if you were to drill it)

Threaded rod through the kingspan bolted above is not allowable and riveting blind rivets or rivnuts are probably not sufficient really
so I'm just checking if there are any other methods used that I've not come across/thought of
Any sensible ideas would be much appreciated

You could look at how the Kingspan was fixed and whether the existing fixings could be adapted/extended to give you fixings for the tray. But I'd expect the number and size of the pre-existing fixings might be too low.

If the Kingspan is removable you might be able to weld or glue (epoxy) nutplates to the metal ceiling, and fit threaded rod thru the Kingspan.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Strut between walls can't be done here as it would interfere with the conveyor systems otherwise it probably would have worked.

Op said rod cannot go through to other side of kingspan.

Something like the fastbrolly, snaptoggle I've used both on board but would need to be pretty heavy duty more so than the aluminium types I've seen so may be a possibility if I can find a stronger type.
Thanks for the replies gents!

"Sky hooks" I was waiting for the idiot who was going to ignore the request for sensible answers..........
And you are it Maddison! Well done!
Must have taken you all afternoon to come up with that one!
I love a good laugh but at least think of something that isn't as old as the ark if you are going to try and be funny........................

Says the bloke who want to fix cable tray to kingspan!
I don't think any form of fixing is going to work in what is basically a load of fluff sandwiched between 2 bits of tinfoil.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here wondering if you yourself are on a windup?

King span is going to have no load bearing abilities in that plane so you need to fix to something else.

What is holding the kingspan up?

Strut between walls can't be done here as it would interfere with the conveyor systems otherwise it probably would have worked.

Op said rod cannot go through to other side of kingspan.

Something like the fastbrolly, snaptoggle I've used both on board but would need to be pretty heavy duty more so than the aluminium types I've seen so may be a possibility if I can find a stronger type.
Thanks for the replies gents!

"Sky hooks" I was waiting for the idiot who was going to ignore the request for sensible answers..........
And you are it Maddison! Well done!
Must have taken you all afternoon to come up with that one!
I love a good laugh but at least think of something that isn't as old as the ark if you are going to try and be funny........................
if its low down then a unistrut frame bolted to floor.

how is unistrut blocking conveyot btw?

he probably meant along ceiling then bolted to wall with rod hangers.

sorry but we cant be too specific because we havent seen the place or job

I'm sure I'm not the only person here wondering if you yourself are on a windup?

You're not!

edexlab, you need to post some pics up.

e-needpics.gif

No it's not a wind up ! Genuine request for alternative ideas
Can't give pics sorry but hopefully a better description of the installation
I've been asked to look for other ways to fix cable tray in what is essentially a kingspan box, at present the install methods (not mine) are to use 6" max tray upside down and fixed to a box section frame which runs along the enclosure,
it has to go on the ceiling as there are hanging conveyors moving products around the different processes floor level is not practical as the cables would be caked in a byproduct which sets very quickly harder than concrete!

Cables go to equipment outside and within the cell
No penetrations of the kingspan is allowed as the product treatment is critical and historically there have been issues

The span between the box section is 1.5 m min 2m max and basically they're looking to turn the tray over and hang it from more regularly spaced supports fixed to the kingspan and not necessarily the box section frame if possible , this is to reduce time installing and for more flexibility in cable runs etc

I've suggested several other things already like ladder racking fixed to the frame as its more supported, or unistrut fixed to the frame across the spans but someone senior is not keen and wants other options to consider before committing to a install method
Its not carrying large numbers of cables and they are fairly small in csa.
So essentially as in the op I'm looking for a good way to fix tray rod hangers to kingspan! The install itself is fairly irrespective its a fixing method problem

Try speaking to the king span technical department directly about methods of fixing into their products for a suspended load, and also the load rating that it can support.

When they've finished laughing you can go to the boss and knock the cotton wool out of his head so he can see that attempting to fix in to fluff when an existing box section frame is available is nonsense.

So which idiot has issues with you tram lining uni and dropping your hangers down from that? That would be top of my list in that sort of situation everytime

Btw dave I don't use the forum for windups and stupid questions and never have.
I always do my own research before posting and as I can't find anything which seems suitable for this , hence I'm asking here, as another member may have had to do something similar, this is not my idea or reccomendation to fix to kingspan but it's what I've been asked to explore as a possible method
I think thats reasonable enough
apologies about the lack of info on the install originally but I didn't think it was relevant!

And where I'm working now there are several people who come up with daft ideas and ignore the sensible suggestions as in many places it's unfortunately not unusual!

Btw dave I don't use the forum for windups and stupid questions and never have.
I always do my own research before posting and as I can't find anything which seems suitable for this , hence I'm asking here, as another member may have had to do something similar, this is not my idea or reccomendation to fix to kingspan but it's what I've been asked to explore as a possible method
I think thats reasonable enough
apologies about the lack of info on the install originally but I didn't think it was relevant!

And where I'm working now there are several people who come up with daft ideas and ignore the sensible suggestions as in many places it's unfortunately not unusual!

OK, how about using poor thermally conducting materials.
A square metre (say) sheet above the Kingspan with a rod dropped down to below, to hang your tray off.
As has already been asked, how is the KS fixed to the ceilings?

Or, maybe you could employ the use of catenary wires?

Hard to say without being onsite! :)

Reply to Fixings to kingspan for hanging tray in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock