Discuss Flashing Garden Lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MikeDIY

DIY
Reaction score
I currently have four 42W Outdoor Spotlights in my garden

I have used this - HALOLITE LOW VOLTAGE ELECTRONIC TRANSFORMER 20-60VA to lower the voltage, this is in a box mounted to an outside wall.

For some reason the lights will not stay on for longer than 5-10 mins, after which they all start to flash. It depends on the temperature, sometimes they will stay on solid for longer but never that long.

Any ideas why this might happen?

transformer is under spec.
40 to 60va is suitable for running 1 x 42w lamp

you need something with around 200VA

Thank you James, I have change the transformer and fixed this now. I have a
LED Driver Adapter AC 220 -240V To DC 12V Transformer and the lights are working no longer flashing.

However now I am trying to install a new downlight that asks for a GU10 LED but I am struggle to get a 12v DC GU10. Does this exist or should I get a different light?

I've put a normal LED GU10 4W in but it does not light up. not sure why

You have not mentioned the power of the new transformer, just because it is working, doesn’t mean it’s not overloaded.
Power should be stated In either watts or va , as stated above you need around 200 or drive all those lights correctly.

Point 2

You will not find a GU10 lamp that runs at 12v
The different base is so you can’t plug a low volt light into a 230v GU10 base.

Reply to Flashing Garden Lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock