Discuss Flat conversion fire requirement in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RGP

ive been asked to convert 3 storey + cellar Victorian house into 4 self contained flats
what would the fire requirements be ??

Local authority will survey when HMO licence is applied for. Most will state, wired full alarm system, call points on entrance, and on each landing area, smokes on each landing, and heats in each flat, sounders to be on each landing and flat. Additional requirement will be solo non linked, mains operated smoke detectors in each flat. and emergency lighting on each floor.

Ive always understood it as HMOs generally have to have shared living spaces kitchens / bathrooms self contained flats dont. Im not sure your description is of a HMO.

As above get building control in they will specify requirements but you need to educate yourself up on the subject so you understand the different set-ups in multi-occupied buildings thus understand their requirements fully or it could be an expensive do'....

Well if the architect designs self contained flats i cant see how it could be a HMO, what the LA want will depend on the design of the building, im sure it may vary between them. Around here flats are not HMOs and do not require a HMO license.

many thanks for all comments seems to be a bit of a grey area will check with LA
If the conversion is done properly with parties concerned it straight forward......when builders dont communicate with LA, then it gets messey....

Supply ok, its been 4 flats previously then converted back to house
Firsted fixed about 18months ago stood empty another 6 months
Now owner wants it converting to 4 self contained flats
So all cables need to be belled out, but it was the fire alarm that I
Thought was an issue

Get conformation first before any install, but should be full system covering common areas smokes, call points and sounders on all landing areas, flats solo mains detection

Reply to Flat conversion fire requirement in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net