Discuss flat sub mains- isolators in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
on my job i started today
a different contractor has done the mains (100a 3ph head>>100a 3ph iso>>63a ryefeild>> meters>>then into a 100a isolator switch (no fuse just a 100a main switch)

then I am responsible for the swa from here and then to consumer unit within the flats and the flat installs etc

should the isolator switch be fused- or is it ok to rely on the ryefeild fuse?

ta

would imagine you are responsible for whatever you install, nothing more nothing less, I mean if you didn't install it how can it be you r responsibility?
not too concerned with the responsibilty- as the isolators are signed off by the previous contractor- but was thinking should the swa be fused down at the isolator or ok to just be at the ryefeild

As long as the cable is of the correct rating (taking in the correction factors for the installation methods) the 60/63A fuse should protect the cable.

The only issue i can see is you said Flats and not flat and one isolator.
if your supplying flats you would normally have multiple Ryefeild 63a ways>multiple meters>multiple isolators for each flat respectively.
If the cable size/installation method suits the 63a fuse then i cant see any issues, also if you made the final isolator a switch fuse then you would need to downgrade your capacity for discrimination between the two in line fuses.

The only issue i can see is you said Flats and not flat and one isolator.
if your supplying flats you would normally have multiple Ryefeild 63a ways>multiple meters>multiple isolators for each flat respectively.
If the cable size/installation method suits the 63a fuse then i cant see any issues, also if you made the final isolator a switch fuse then you would need to downgrade your capacity for discrimination between the two in line fuses.
is 6way r.b>6meters>5x iso (not one for l/l)

just in my head i had it should be fused for the swa rather than relying on r.b

so ideal world.....80a in r.b then 60a on isolator

on my job i started today
a different contractor has done the mains (100a 3ph head>>100a 3ph iso>>63a ryefeild>> meters>>then into a 100a isolator switch (no fuse just a 100a main switch)

then I am responsible for the swa from here and then to consumer unit within the flats and the flat installs etc

should the isolator switch be fused- or is it ok to rely on the ryefeild fuse?

ta
Hi J.C.E
quite lucky really you got an isolator after the Head before the Ryefield as it is only strongly advised by UKPN, a lot of companies fit the ryefield panel without the switch/ switch fuse. If the Ryefield is a 63amp unit & the correct fuse is fitted in the ryefield panel then it won't matter that there is a 100amp main switch as long as the cable to the flat is rated for the 63amps. The isolator after meter is there so if there is a problem the supply can be isolated from meter location.

Does the DNO specify a Isolator before the RF panel?
I have usually wired Head>RF>Meter> Sw/Fuse to Con unit
Hi Cadgey123
we are in the UKPN region & in their literature the wording is "strongly advised to fit a switch or switch fuse, also no recourse to pull the main fuses"

i see it as- they are usually pretty awkward anyway- so why give them anything to nibble on
HI J.C.E
yes I understand that & also the fact if I allow in the price of the job around £400-£500 for a 200A switch fuse I might not get the job.
more worrying would be safe isolation & sending in one of my workers to work on the system that can only be partially be isolated from head to meter point at least with the SW/SWF can be safely isolated.
when installing a system locally for a few units Siemens engineer arrived to install fuses & mentioned if no isolator no fuses.

Reply to flat sub mains- isolators in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net