Discuss Flex and push-fit connectors (mostly in lights) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrics

Esteemed
Reaction score
How do you guys terminate these when using flex?

I'm talking these things found in light fittings: https://www.saxbylighting.com/image...a61727463c42674eaa46ff0000f3e563.jpg?sfvrsn=0

I twist the strands together and then try to push them in. The problem is a lot of the time the connection doesn't feel great and often you'll get some strands push back out as you push the wire in, meaning you have to take out, retwist and then redo.

A right PITA.

Is there really no better way of doing this? I thought about ferrules but they don't fit.

So how do you do it with flex?

Yes, push the button hard. Peer into the end to see what position opens the clamp as wide as it will go.

Never read them, but i would assume

This method sometimes gives disappointing results with everything from terminal blocks to spaceships. RTFM.

Or, if you're ok with soldering, tin the ends of the flex.

Personally I never do this. If you are going to tin a fine-stranded conductor as an anti-splay measure, regardless of what type of terminal it's going into, only tin the very tip, not the bit that will actually make the connection. But I don't like having soldering flux wicked into the strands of the conductor where it is relying on a metal-metal pressure contact. Over time it can cause corrosion and degrade the contact. What is much worse, BTW, is tinning up a stranded conductor solid and putting it into a screw terminal, as the solder creeps and relaxes and the terminal comes loose. I also don't use ferrules in a spring-clamp, as they do not exert as much pressure as a screw terminals (although the pressure is more constant) so it's harder to assure that the contact between the ferrule and the conductor is going to be maintained over thermal cycling.

How do you guys terminate these when using flex?

I'm talking these things found in light fittings: https://www.saxbylighting.com/image...a61727463c42674eaa46ff0000f3e563.jpg?sfvrsn=0

I twist the strands together and then try to push them in. The problem is a lot of the time the connection doesn't feel great and often you'll get some strands push back out as you push the wire in, meaning you have to take out, retwist and then redo.

A right PITA.

Is there really no better way of doing this? I thought about ferrules but they don't fit.

So how do you do it with flex?
Install a ferrule on the flex conductor??

Is there something wrong with that? I thought ferrules were for flex/stranded?
There is if they won't fit in the terminal holes......and they won't, as well as ferrules in spring camps, as explained. A read through previous posts, maybe.
Those terms are made for solid core, really, but will take flex. The other end has flex going out to the fitting.
Remove the block, then, patience and get it right is the plan.

There is if they won't fit in the terminal holes......and they won't, as well as ferrules in spring camps, as explained. A read through previous posts, maybe.
Those terms are made for solid core, really, but will take flex. The other end has flex going out to the fitting.
Remove the block, then, patience and get it right is the plan.
That's what i said - i just thought 'hmm maybe a ferrule would do that' but then discovered they wouldn't. I'm just puzzled that there isn't a better way to do this. The connections in these fittings aren't great imo, they always feel flimsy and getting them in properly is a faff. The only 'solution' i can think of is making them lever-up like a wago instead of push down.

all depends on the make of the fitting. some terminals are good and easy to use, some are crap. the JCC ones are excellent, but do require a fair bit of force to open them.

all depends on the make of the fitting. some terminals are good and easy to use, some are crap. the JCC ones are excellent, but do require a fair bit of force to open them.
We've been using Bell Lighting stuff. Never feels like a good connection and it's very hit and miss, some go straight in and others just push back cores several times before it works right.

Surprised there's not a better way of doing it - i never liked putting stranded cable in any termination without ferrules or at a push solder because it always just feels crap to me.

Reply to Flex and push-fit connectors (mostly in lights) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net