Discuss flexible cable for outside pir in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all can someone please tell me the best flexible cable to use for outside security light

Some say black pvc others rubber can you please give me a HAR code and best place to buy

black pvc flex will last for donkey's years. rubberised for dinosaur years, your choice.

thanks mate

been searchig google and not one site says its suitable for outdoor use the only one i can find that does is on eland cables and this is the Har code

My local wholesalers are useless no PVC or rubber 1.5mm flex

I have some
HO5VV-F 1.5mm but i read on one of the sites not sutable for outdoor use

mate i hate google takes you all over the shop
anyway cheers i will either use the rubber to the spec below or get some PVC flex from somewhere

cheers Tel

H07RN-F Cable to BS7919

electric center will cut it and supply be the yard (metre). so will the sheds.

B&Q dont have any either mate been other day

I will try the electric centre or QVS etc as they to do it by the metre

Mate in past i would hae just used heat resistant white flex or t/e lol as thats what i was shown on site but the regs say preferably black
I have white on my 3 floods been there 10+ yrs and nowt wrong yet with it lol

cheers Tel thanks for the advice

white is OK. the H/R stuff is fine. i generally use 5 core black flex to PIR so that i can readily wire in a manual override switch. better than that flick off/on/off/on , that doesn't always work.

yeah mate i bought a pir light before and as you say i had wired in 3 core then realised the spectrum flood i had bought needed a 5 core to manual override so the light would light for so long then switch off and couldnt be overridden I thought i had jsut bought the usual maual override type of fitting were you use the fcu to switch off and on again

for electric centre i would have to be a member eg have a account there which i dont lol cheers mate i sort it now thanks to your help

nope. electric center will do cash sales. i don't have accounts, too easy to spend it, then have a huge bill to settle. always pay cash/card on collection with elec. ctr. no problem.

i have set them a email there isnt one local to me nearest is bolton there may also be one in warrington which is about 30 min drive to each lol

see if i can order online from them or if i have to i will drive over to warrington

ain't you got a cef local? or be cheaper from one of the sheds rather than paying fuel.

No mate
used to be a cef and a independent the independent has been taken over by a irish firm century electrical and they not got any either pvc or rubber

I used to jsut go to this one

when i was working on-site we used cef at wigan or express electrical and there was a cef in leigh but not anymore
I order online if i can mate and maybe get a 50m drum as it will always be needed

Reply to flexible cable for outside pir in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net