Discuss Flexible Conduit (N.Bundy job) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@UNG could you explain why you disagree with my comment stating that trunking would have been a better option?

I'm here to increase my knowledge and fully expect that people might disagree with some of my thinking, but it would be helpful if it could be explained when those thoughts are flawed - especially as later posts seem to reach consensus among others about trunking.

Yep he took some stick for sure.
I don't understand, nice job of housing the receivers for the kenetic switching,all in the loft/cupboard where nobody will ever see it, plus as mentioned far too much
emphasis on the CU, lets face it when AFDD becomes mandatory, dressing nice long sweeps will be gone, shortest route. lol
I have never used flexi con, its looks pants the Europeans love it for concealed work beneath plaster for its quickness in installation.

Its just a shame that it comes down to rush and tear, and maybe lack of skills to set conduit and trunking for that matter.

Last edited:
It doesn't look terrible in that garage

It looks awful I wouldn't do an installation like that in a dog kennel as no doubt the dog would tell me it's woof

He had plenty of excess length on the flexible tube then cut them all short and used single saddles when an all round band saddle to fix all three tubes would have been a much neater solution

@UNG could you explain why you disagree with my comment stating that trunking would have been a better option?

I'm here to increase my knowledge and fully expect that people might disagree with some of my thinking, but it would be helpful if it could be explained when those thoughts are flawed - especially as later posts seem to reach consensus among others about trunking.
See above re the disagree
Trunking would have been a much better option, I would probably have used a 50 x 50 metal trunking and bridged over the gas pipe and put it through the wall and instead of filling the hole with foam I would have used a lump of brick and some mortar

Mr Bundy seems to like to hide his best work inside enclosures and leave his poor workmanship on show

Kopex is useful for a final connection into a vibrating machine. Beyond that there are other more suitable means of containment.
It can have it's uses. In the service and catering industries, for instance, you sometimes get situations where it is ideal. In small, sectioned, bars or serveries, under worktops, linking sockets for appliances or tills, for instance.
[automerge]1597236175[/automerge]
I think that'll be because you said 'it doesn't look terrible'. People don't throw the disagrees around, these days.....so I'll just say it... I DISAGREE.:)

Last edited:
Having scanned through the video quickly I'd say a bit of cable tray screwed to the bottom of the joists would have made a neater job of that.

I installed some galv tray in a big garage once to cable tie all my cable to.
it did look a bit strange on a ‘domestic’ but it was one long run and instead of clipping everything I just did small bunches on the tray.
was much quicker than individual clipping...

It looks awful I wouldn't do an installation like that in a dog kennel as no doubt the dog would tell me it's woof

He had plenty of excess length on the flexible tube then cut them all short and used single saddles when an all round band saddle to fix all three tubes would have been a much neater solution

See above re the disagree
Trunking would have been a much better option, I would probably have used a 50 x 50 metal trunking and bridged over the gas pipe and put it through the wall and instead of filling the hole with foam I would have used a lump of brick and some mortar

Mr Bundy seems to like to hide his best work inside enclosures and leave his poor workmanship on show

I'm with you. It was a throwaway comment in that the garage wasn't exactly well kept and there were worse places for a rough installation. I'd suggested trunking as the ideal option from my first post, but hadn't watched the whole video to know whether there was a good reason for not doing so - regardless, flexible conduit seemed like the least best option!

I also didn't realise he'd filled the wall with foam - that's not ideal. If it was my house I could live with the Kopex, but would make a pointed comment about it. What I wouldn't live with is a cable route filled with foam that encased all cables - he'd be digging that back out and providing something that allowed for future maintainence or additional circuits.

Sorry to say this, as Nick seems like a decent guy and generally a decent electrician, but that job's pretty shoddy and I'm surprised anyone (other than Kieran) would post it on Youtube.
[automerge]1597252952[/automerge]
I think that'll be because you said 'it doesn't look terrible'. People don't throw the disagrees around, these days.....so I'll just say it... I DISAGREE.:)

I've no problem with people disagreeing with me, but like to know where my thinking is flawed ☺

Is it really ‘that’ bad...?
ok it’s not the prettiest containment with the wonky flexi tube snaking it’s way along the garage wall , but other than that it ‘does the job‘ ?

I remember watching that video, I still think it looks cluttered and busy. Personally I would have ran rigid conduit but then I'm partial to a nice heavy gauge black conduit

ok it’s not the prettiest containment with the wonky flexi tube snaking it’s way along the garage wall , but other than that it ‘does the job‘ ?

Like I said; I could live with the kopex (begrudgingly), but would you fill a cable route with foam and leave thinking it was a decent job? That's something I'd expect from a builder, who didn't care what problems it might cause in the future, and not from an electrician who knows full well what problems it would cause for the next guy.

Put it another way - if Nick turned up to a job where someone else had foamed the void that all cables ran through, he'd rant about what sort of idiot thought it was acceptable. Last year I watched him complain about having to dig out insulation to fit downlighters and go on to talk about having consideration for the next guy - where was that consideration when he was spraying foam?

He's just done a rewire and capped it off with THAT.
Saying the old rubber is in a bad way and rubbishing it....fair enough.....but it's over 60 years old. I wonder how that crap will look in 2040 never mind '80.
I thought he'd have fixed it with metal saddles, by the way.... seeing it's an entry/exit route...Ha!;)

That flexy is horendous! Lazy and untidy. I would have drilled through joists and dado into top of cu.
what were the switches in the big adap box? I couldnt be arsed to listen to his dull monotonous voice.

In that particular instance no, I would likely have put a 50mm kopex or two through the wall and filled round it to run the cables through that and give easy future access. I would probably have used foam around the kopex.

There are many ways of filling a void without restricting cable access, while still keeping out rodents or whatever else may be undesirable.

I've watched quite a few of Nick Bundy's videos and I get the impression that he's generally earnest and a fairly decent spark. The kopex in this video didn't look too good, and he could have done better, but it's not the end of the world. On the other hand I think his use of foam was a terrible idea and not what I would expect. Maybe people don't agree with me, but I can not fathom why anyone would bind up cables in this way, unless there really was no alternative - is access for maintenance/repair/future expansion not a usual consideration?
[automerge]1597261869[/automerge]
The ole hole was already there so is it really the electricians’job’ to stuff it with foam...?

The hole had been blocked with towels - presumably to keep rodents out. Maybe he could have reused those towels instead of foam ?

That flexy is horendous! Lazy and untidy. I would have drilled through joists and dado into top of cu.
what were the switches in the big adap box? I couldnt be arsed to listen to his dull monotonous voice.

Adaptable box was receivers for quinetic switches. Owner wanted to minimise disruption and mess, so it may not have been feasible to bring cables through close to CU. Still plenty of other options though...

Reply to Flexible Conduit (N.Bundy job) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net