Discuss Flexible Conduit (N.Bundy job) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not watched that video, but have seen a few Youtube videos where sheds/garages have been run in flexible conduit. It certainly does what is required of it, but I don't think it looks like a finished job compared to regular plastic conduit.

I guess it has its place, but I don't think that place is anywhere that surface wiring is on display.

Edit: Just flicked through the video to see what he had done. Not sure what obstructions might have been in the way, but surely a run of trunking would have been neater?

It doesn't look terrible in that garage, but I'd have thought trunking a better option if at all possible. If it had to be flexible, then definitely black - in galv it would have looked like an elaborate shower installation.

That's pathetic in any situation. Flexible conduit has it's uses, main means of wiring, as shown, is not one of them.
Even doing it in cheapo flexible he makes it look a real mess.....three saddles side by side :rolleyes: it looks disgusting. Whatever happened to level and vertical.
Rip it out and get a trunking installed.
Trade's going down the drain......and they're proud of their bleedin' 'work', showing it off even??? :(

I did question why he didn’t just run in some 75 x 50 trunking , it would have probably been quicker and cheaper than fishing all the cable through those 3 flex tubes

I watched a video about a year back - think it was the My Trusted Electrician guy - and he ran a garden shed in Kopex. In fairness he had everything arrow straight, but I couldn't help wondering why he wouldn't have taken the small amount of extra time required to run black heavy gauge conduit.

I'm sure there is plently of worse work being installed every day of the week, but not proudly displayed on Youtube.

Nick Bundy ddoes imo a really neat rcbo board and uses some flexi conduit to get his cables across the garage which imo looks quite neat. But he gets quite a bit of stick in the comments about it...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmzsyYX2ths

thoughts
PVC Trunking would have been easier. and make a better job, that flexi con looks pants.
[automerge]1597211050[/automerge]
PVC Trunking would have been easier. and make a better job, that flexi con looks pants.
To reinforce my comments, threading that many cable through a small diameter tube, would possibly cause overheating.
At least with Plastic trunking at least you have some wriggle room, as far as spacing is concerned, can't really fault Nick for the connections in the CU.
It appears to me at least that far to much emphasis is place upon making the CU connections look good, without any, or much attention placed on getting the cables to the final point of connection, an excellent CU spoiled by a Pants containment job,

Last edited:
I have a feeling he had brought the 3 packs of flexi tube so almost felt compelled to use it, he even sayes at the start of the video he had run through various ways to do the job in his head leading up to the board install.
i think flexi can look good in short sections where it has to go round awkward bends and turns.
but a long straight run imo should be trunking all day long. All it would have taken was one length across and a short stub down, simples....

My view is that kopex is used because installers don’t know how to bend ridged conduit, which let’s face it , is pretty easy with a spring.

^ Yes see that a lot with alarm, CCTV and gate installers. Rigid conduit on the straight bits then bits of flexible on the bends. Looks terrible.

My view is that kopex is used because installers don’t know how to bend ridged conduit, which let’s face it , is pretty easy with a spring.

you can even buy elbows if you aren’t confident in getting a decent bend via a spring...

Reply to Flexible Conduit (N.Bundy job) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock