Discuss Flexible conduit with mechanical protection in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elementps

Hi all,

I have a job coming up, installing some pillar lights on a driveway that is being re-laid. My first thought was swa and wiska boxes as have done with a few garden projects), however...

The lights will obviously be fitted flush to the floor so no place for my boxes and the internal diameter of the pillar is 85mm. So im thinking of some type of flexible conduit, looped underground up to each light position and then using a tough flex. As the regs state any cable buried in a duct needs to have equivilent protection to that of swa, im trying to find something suitable.

Has anyone come accross this problem before?
Any ideas on where i can get some suitably protected ducting, not the usual pvc???

Many thanks

dont know if the metal kopex is the right idea for that kind of installation - but better than the pvc coated stuff! Havent used the pvc one for quite a while but doesnt it have a cardboard like stuff inside - re the flex, what about SY cable - has similar properties to SWA, but much more pliable

SY Control Cable BS6500

I would just use SWA, I think you're making life difficult and probably expensive with Kopex or any other flexible system. Can you use these with an SWA gland and banjo? I'm not sure if they'd work but might be worth a try.

dont know if the metal kopex is the right idea for that kind of installation - but better than the pvc coated stuff! Havent used the pvc one for quite a while but doesnt it have a cardboard like stuff inside - re the flex, what about SY cable - has similar properties to SWA, but much more pliable

SY Control Cable BS6500

your getting Kopex the product name confused with crap contractor packs from wholesalers

kopex is the metal spiralled stuff

the stuff i was referring to is the same as above with pvc coating to avoid water ingress

Isn't 85mm sufficient to bring your SWA cables up into the lighting pillars?? I would have thought so. Would make life a hell of a lot easier too, with the added advantage of protecting your SWA gland terminations too!! You can link the banjo's, or the earthing nuts at the lighting fitting. I wouldn't be messing around with flexible conduit if i could possibly help it!!...

Reply to Flexible conduit with mechanical protection in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net