uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Flexishield Cable in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Anyone used Flexishield cable/ pre wired conduit.
May have a job for it (1.5 - 6.0mm), i was wondering how much it costs for 2 core + E.
Can anyone help with a rough cost.

Cheers

G

Guest123

Hey there.

I've not used myself yet but there is a company called Cleveland Cable Company who deal with it.

There is a "provide a quote" feature on their website which may be of use to you.

Home page

Cheers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Lenny

Ill try that.
I dont really need it for the earthed sheild it will be installed on existing basket (20 circuits approx), thought it might be better than T&E and cheaper than FP200.

S

Spudnik

I have read that its around £100/ 100M.

Maybe best contact your local wholesalers:)

G

Gareth J Gibbon

I believe that since it has an earthed sheath it is compliant with the 17th edition when in a wall preferably under capping and horizontal or vertical to the accessory to which it's wired.There is no need for earthed conduit or installation at over 50mm depth to permit protection with a mcb.This means that switch drops utilising this cable enable lighting circuits to be mcb protected and not require additional rcd protection.Some electricians would maintain that rcd protected lighting circuits are to be avoided unless mandatory such as the lighting in bathrooms.

J

jase

What do people reckon to it's use as an alternative to SWA , im thinking buried for some outdoor lighting?

S

sparkydude

Used thousands of metres of it at our current job. Stuffs a nightmare to strip at DB end as you have to do it in 6 inch bits. The cable is stiffer than FP and so dresses on tray niceley , but it has a tendency to kink easily aswell. Overall CSA is a bit bigger than FP aswell.

As for price , the £100 for 100m of 2.5 is about right, but sure you could get a decent discount off that . We always buy from Cleveland Cable. Would never entertain the idea of burying it , would be like direct burial of FP.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jase

reg 522.8.10, i dont see any difference in burying flexishield instead of armoured in the ground compared to using it instead of armoured in a wall

S

sparkydude

By the regs i guess you can yes, however, i doubt if it is designed for that purpose. If you want to bury some, then may i suggest you contact cleveland cables and ask them , as they will know if it has been trieds before and if it is suitable .

Personally i would not do it as it seems like a bit of a bodge to me, and as the costs are pretty similiar to SWA , i would stick with the known quantity.

Nick

J

jase

Was just thinking it would be easier to gland in and out of galvanised 20mm tee boxes, which would then be filled with magic gel,

Sorry cant help with costs, just to say that we specified the use of this on a large hospital in the midlands due to the cost saving on the install when compared to trunking, conduit and singles. Great product, but keep it secret eh.....

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Flexishield Cable in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

Top Bottom