Discuss Flickering LED bulb when off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a single new LED bulb fitted today and when I switch it off, it keeps flashing on every 2-3 secs. After a while, the flashing dims, but still flickers. The circuit seems to be simple - no 2-way switching. Incidentally, I previously had a CFL bulb in this fixture and it didn't do this.

I have read up a bit on the problem via google and this forum.
Apparently in this thread @Taylortwocities mentioned that such a problem required a resistor & capacitor in series. The product that was recommended was this KEMET RC (PMR209 series).

--The thread was quite some time ago now, so wondered if there are any other simple solutions available please?

--If this is still the device to use, my other question is where do we place this device practically? e.g. in the ceiling?

Any examples would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks for your help!

What is the 'new LED bulb'? Who fitted said bulb, ask them to resolve it. Sometimes replacing it with another LED lamp, might just resolve the issue.

Neighbours installed LED's in their kids bedroom they go weird when the light in the bathroom is turned on, replaced dimmer in kids bedroom all sorted. Kitchen also had an issue, new LED's old dimmer switch.

Polarity?? How is that relavent?

Sorry let me be more specific, I've been the victim of getting switch wires mixed up on the penultimate light of a lighting circuit, with the switch open i was still getting a voltage through the "neutral" of the last load causing the light to pulse. It might go unnoticed if there hasn't been a load in the last light for some time,

Sorry let me be more specific, I've been the victim of getting switch wires mixed up on the penultimate light of a lighting circuit, with the switch open i was still getting a voltage through the "neutral" of the last load causing the light to pulse. It might go unnoticed if there hasn't been a load in the last light for some time,

I've come across similar problem on a loop in loop out lights, neutral into switch line. Don't think this is the issue for the OP?

I've come across similar problem on a loop in loop out lights, neutral into switch line. Don't think this is the issue for the OP?

I assume it is a Mains LED Lamp? if Low voltage then there is several instances why flickering could occur.

Reply to Flickering LED bulb when off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net