Discuss Flickering light, tripping rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Customer has rcd which keeps tripping in no pattern. Split load board 16th type rcd on sockets cooker shower. Ze and as good, Ir test shows all clear apart from boiler circuit. Disconect cable into boiler wiring centre and all good. Ln+e at 250 v on boiler wiring centre and low reading of 1.3 M. Customers wont let me touch boiler side so british gas been and says its fine..
Now lights and lamps plugged into sockets are dimming flickering and rcd trips. All different breakers and some non rcd.
My thought was supply voltage but dno say no problems.
All cables tight in board etc.
Anyone help me as he rings up can you come but always busy and when there it never does it.

Thought that but ze is fine and when load applied it doesn't flicker trip.
Dno said it's fine but will fit voltage anayliser in next couple of weeks.
Just thought it coul
So a thorough test sequence then? how much did that joke cost you? BG a waste of space. That proof that testing by being brain washed works on the general public.
Think they pay 45 a month to replace any part

I don't think any of this British Gas slating is helping the OP with his problem when the boiler probably has nothing to do with it.

Nuisance tripping is always a pain to find.
It does sound like a loose connection somewhere to me.
Could you divide the circuits (temporarily) onto other RCDs or RCBOs to identify the problem circuit.

Also, just a thought but what lamps are we talking about? ...Some LED lamps in standard SELV lights (i.e. without a dedicated LED Driver) can flicker.

Could you divide the circuits (temporarily) onto other RCDs or RCBOs to identify the problem circuit.

Also, just a thought but what lamps are we talking about? ...Some LED lamps in standard SELV lights (i.e. without a dedicated LED Driver) can flicker.

All type of lamps some led some filament. Thinking of putting boiler on a rcbo in case it's a build up of earth leakage. Lights flickering has got me. Think a look at tails main switch is in order. But everything was tight 3 weeks ago.

I don't think any of this British Gas slating is helping the OP with his problem when the boiler probably has nothing to do with it.
Fair point, the technical staff probably have the range of competence you'd find in any 8000 souls but the experience of friends and family suggests the business model is 'sell a boiler no matter what'.

My only direct contact with BG came a few years ago when they invoiced me for some inspection work. Wrong name but my address. Minor error but polite requests to sort it fell on deaf ears with escalating threats going on for four years. It wasn't resolved until I served formal notice on the BG debt agency that my fee for entertaining their collectors at my address was £4000 per visit, when they decided to 'pass the claim back to BG', which is debt-collector speak for 'this debt BG sold to us is a dud.'

Getting back on topic, the OP has a tricky intermittent problem to resolve and BG, claiming competence in all things wet, gaseous and electrical might be expected to do more than kick the tyres on the boiler and declare everything good.

Been a long while but bg have changed ignition transformer on boiler and I've fitted a nest controller and tidyed up wiring as bg said it was switching wrong.
Electric supply company have moinitered supply and said electric was unstable first week but stable second week, I did notice voltage one day was 251 and 232 another so I suppose this could be problem. But customer say everything seems fine.
So thanks for your help and have a good xmas

Reply to Flickering light, tripping rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net