Discuss Flickering lights - bad dimmer? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

benjadin

DIY
Reaction score
I have an Elko 315 GLE dimmer rated for 20-300W controlling two ceiling lamps.

Before they used to be lamps with fixed LEDs, but they were flickering a bit and eventually one of them broke, so I replaced both lamps with IKEA Årstid which take 3 x E27 LED bulbs each.

I used some cheap 5.5 W bulbs and flickering persisted. The brightness will also go up and down a bit seemingly at random, especially when the lights are dimmed to lower brightness levels.

I then replaced all bulbs with more expensive Osram 7 W, but the problem remains the same.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I'm suspecting it has something to do with the dimmer, or I'm using the wrong type of bulbs maybe? The dimmer is only about a year old.

All help appreciated!

IMG_7972 (1).jpg

At 20 - 300 watt a bulb at half brightness would mean bulbs 40 to 300 watt so dimmer is too large for size of bulbs, however this flicker is common with LED bulbs, I have electronic switches not dimmers and every so often they will flicker, even the one with 5 x 3 watt G9 with a 4uf load capacitor still flickers from time to time.

Swapping bulbs can cure it, but it seems random. With Energenie switches I use they do a chart of compatible bulbs, same with many other makes, since your not UK no real point doing it for you are likely different makes are available.

But look at one of the lists and select a bulb off the list.

might need to check if dimmer is leading edge or trailing edge. most LEds require trailing edge dimmers. a snubber fitted across the load L-N may help with flickering.

With some dimmers you can change the mode and configuration.
Have a good look through the installation instructions and it may give you details of mode changes for different loads. If so, try them.
Many new switches are returned as faulty without even a thought of this.

Reply to Flickering lights - bad dimmer? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net