Discuss Flickering Lights Issue in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Looking to see if anyone has had the same issues. I went to a tennanted property last year where the house lights were flickering and all circuits were playing up and tripping the Board protected by 1 very old RCD which was the cause of the issue.

I changed the Board to a new RCBO board and evrything worked fine and tested fine. However ive been contacted by the letting agent to go back and have a look as the Tennant has stated that the Lights are flickering throughout the House at random times. And has even turned the TV off.

I have been in contact and they are saying the lights flicker randomly but nothing has tripped on the Board. After looking at my Installation test sheet I can see that I had some limitations on the Light Circuit but the results i Could get were 50M Ohms so nothing severe. Each Light circuit is on its own RCBO so no shared Nuetral.

Hoping someone has seen this before and has some advice before I go back to have a look.

Thanks in Advance

Andy

If it's affecting more than one circuit have you checked for a loose neutral connection from the tails to the CU?

Do the lights dim when a high current appliance is turned on?

Possibly dodgy underground joint where the house is tapped off the cable under the pavement? (have seen this several times)

Yes the Lights are affected where high powered appliances are used.

I did think myself that it must be from the Supply side as like you said multiple circuits are affected. Thanks for the assistance, Ill go tomorrow and check the connections and then call Western Power.

Andy

If more than one light circuit is involved, it's either an unlikely coincidence, or a fault further back towards and including the supply.
There were many cases in my area, a while back, and they turned out to be the result of a whole batch of incorrectly supplied service pole fuses, that had been routinely packed out for extra length with 2p coins.

Hi Guys, just a quick update. I went back today and ensured all conductors were tight at the consumer unit, which i knew they already were. I had a quick look at the supply end but couldnt see an issue. Anyway I asked them to put the dryer on and the lights and sockets were affected.

So I Phoned Western Distribution and they were due to turn up today. I phoned the customer not long ago to get an update and basically he said they Showed up not long after they left and discovered that the main meter was fried and the conductors were melted at the conenctions. They had to get someone to return later in the day to install a new phone.

Many thanks for your assistance. Everyday is a school day :)

Regards

Andy

Reply to Flickering Lights Issue in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net