Discuss Flickering switch light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The flickering light is the Neon connect across the load side of the switch, just replace the switch, or if u feel confident check the connection of the neon itself, you don't have to have one with a neon on it, make sure if you do it yourself to isolate (switch the power off) before you change the switch

To be honest, i'd love to help but i'm not going to be opening that link till another sparks does :p it's not that i don't trust you, i'd just rather not have the missus thinking i've been looking at dodgy websites again should the worst happen haha.

And im guessing you mean the lights flickering and not the switch? or isit arching....some sparks please view the video for me :biggrin:

Thanks guys!

So it isn't some problem with the voltage like I was theorising? lol

It is basically just a slightly dodgy indicator neon?

To be honest, i'd love to help but i'm not going to be opening that link till another sparks does :p it's not that i don't trust you, i'd just rather not have the missus thinking i've been looking at dodgy websites again should the worst happen haha.

And im guessing you mean the lights flickering and not the switch? or isit arching....some sparks please view the video for me :biggrin:

Again... ^_^

Can't say it's not a problem with voltage because I'm not there to measure it but I very much doubt it, on the back of the switch there are 6 terminals , 2 for earth , 2 for L and 2 for N, one set of L&N terminals are marked supply and the other load, the neon should be connected across L & N of the load side

Again... ^_^

Aye, old comp got riddled with viruses after i tried to stream some preimerleague matches online through some iranian website. error.

For the life of me no matter how hard i tried she was covinced i'd been viewing babestation or whatever haha thats women for ya.

Can't say it's not a problem with voltage because I'm not there to measure it but I very much doubt it, on the back of the switch there are 6 terminals , 2 for earth , 2 for L and 2 for N, one set of L&N terminals are marked supply and the other load, the neon should be connected across L & N of the load side

Thanks Llandrillospark,

So if the Neon lamp blew the supply circuit would be broken?

I will measure the voltage with my ammeter later, what sort of fluctuation would cause the flickering like that?

The neon is across L and N of load side as per Llandrillo's post. It is not in series with the live line conductor. Wise advice on not putting an ammeter across live and neutral - you'll get quite a flash! Neons are notorious for flickering due to the way they work - it's a gas filled envelope with 2 electrodes; when the voltage across the 2 electrodes reaches sufficient value then the neon ionises (I think) and glows. Daz

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, it is a clamp ammeter with attacheable prongs.

I have in the past set it to AC Voltage and used the red and black prongs to record the voltage of a circuit (red onto live, black onto neutral).

:-/

It was on Spin :)

- - - Updated - - -

Now I'm more worried about the guys advice of not using my ammeter to measure the voltage across L & N when I have in the past and not experienced any ill effects :-?

The confusion arises from you calling it an ammeter, which it is for its usual usage. Yes, if it has a voltage setting that's fine. Daz

Reply to Flickering switch light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net