Discuss Flood light, help please, can anyone recommend a decent brand in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Adam_hacks

Hi, i have always used wickes security flood lights. They are cheep and have until recently been easy to adjust and reliable.
But on my last job its just crap. The flood lights mounted at about 2m on a brick wall, it only picks up 4M range and needs to be about 10-12M. The packaging states 14M range.
Anyone any experience of this? It could be faulty and i have arranged to pop round Wednesday and swap it for another.
Can anyone recommend another brand? The brand recommended by the wholesaler doesn't have a sensitivity setting, just time and dusk/day. Is this a problem?
Also there is quite a busy road at the end of the drive (18M) i don't want cars to be setting it off.

Thanks in advance, Adam

go to wholesaler and get timeguard. the sensitivity control is a gimmick anyway. to stop traffic tripping the PIR, just angle it down a bit so it cuts off before the end of the property. bear in mind that they are more sensitive at night when it's cooler. ( consultation fee is a pint of theakston's).

I had a run in with that stuff when I was in the UK for a few months in the late 80's I think it was. The pub was somewhere obscure in the Lake District, they weren't big on closing times and they weren't big on beer taps either, they literally dumped the glass in the barrel to refill it. The stuff was stronger than it looked and I lost the best part of a day under a bush.

In the interest of getting back on topic with the few PIR lights we get involved in I've always found Everspring the best of a bad bunch.

you have to work up to old peculier. start with that girlie lager, then progress to newcastle brown, then on to pedigree, hobgoblin, and witches brew. then you're ready for owd rodger and old peculier.

Thanks, if I ever go back I'll take your advice, especially nowadays cause I drink like a girl, 3 beers and I'm anybodies.

once tried lights with wickes. the wind blew the flame out.

Try a stand alone pir unit with a LED flood a 30watt. no need to go back in 12months to swop it them either why use cheap wickes fitting. Plus I also agree time guard for the flood if the above suggestion isn't good enough for you. They are the best out there in my opinion

Reply to Flood light, help please, can anyone recommend a decent brand in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net