Discuss Flood Lights Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I've been asked to help increase the light from 8 floodlights on a rugby pitch, and tbh, I've never had to work with them in my life as my experience is 99% domestic. The floodlights use 1 x 400w MHT E40 each, which is the max the lights can use. I'm looking to get LEDs that are much brighter but are <400W.

Is there any reason I can't/shouldn't use them? As in, are they compatible, are they suitable for the use, and what minimum wattage should I use? I emailed the flood light's manufacturer but they haven't got back to me since.

It's just an amateur club so they don't have a tonne of cash so at the moment, so new floodlights aren't in the budget. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

And watch for start up currents if you do swap to LED's if they all on the same switch / circuit

LED and metal halide lights are generally of similar energy efficiency, though LED can be up to twice as efficient depending on the luminaire chosen.
Therefore to increase the brightness of the illumination would be challenging at a low budget.
You say that they cannot afford new floodlights so you are going to supply new floodlights?
Or do you mean that additional masts are outside of the budget?

In order to replace a 400W metal halide floodlight with an LED floodlight you would probably need at least a 300W LED and these would be in the region of £300-500 each.

Reply to Flood Lights Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock