Discuss Flood lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys

Im new here im currently in my first year on elec installation at college yale in wrexham to be precise.

Im wanting to wire 2 500watt floodlights but they need to be portable so i want them on a normal 13amp plug top. So I will obviously need to use flex so am i right in thinking that i need 1.5mm2 flex?? also what size fuse will i need to install in the plug top. Asuming it is ok to wire 2 500 watt lights like this i cant see why but im no expert.

Thanks Ashley still learning.

2 x 500watts = 1000 watts / 230V = 4.34A 5A fuse will do.

Flexible 1.5mm cable rated at 16amps.

Where are they to be used?

These lights can get very hot and heat resistance cable maybe more suitable?

Basically i race radio control cars so everyweek we rent a hall. But last week the hall was rewired with new lights but the new lights are in diffrent possitions to the old ones. So they dont light up our pitting area as well, so we asked if we could wire in a couple of flood lights they said no. So we asked them if we could put the lights up but not be hard wired in, just have them on a socket and then take them down each week they said yes aslong as it is safe and done properly.

A

I would like them on one plug top but if that just isnt possible then it might have to be two. I asume it would be ok to wire 2x 250 off one plug top?

A

I would like them on one plug top but if that just isnt possible then it might have to be two. I asume it would be ok to wire 2x 250 off one plug top?

A

Never good practise to wire more than one appliance off of one plug top.

Use your P=VI equation to work out your current drawn, it will be good practise for college.

I got the idea from a portable teloscopic flood light we have sort of thign you might have on a site that has 2 on one socket is there any sort of junction box i can use to connect two units to one socket. I just dont want to use to many sockets up in the hall.

A

if u do opt for making your own as long as u wire them in series you will be fine as people have said a 5 amp fuse in your plug top should be ample current but you will need heat resistance cable which isnt cheap so if the tripod works out cheaper then probs best option if suitable for your needs.........

Last edited by a moderator:
As you are using 500 watt floodlights which are usually halogen/sodium bulbs they tend to heat up alot and could cause the cable to melt at the connections so i.e. heat resistance cable usually solves the problem.....;}

Yea i gathered the heat form the lamp was the main part to do with it but thought most of the heat would be deflected forwards away from the cable but thinking about it i think the easiest way is to buy the lights on the tripod as above and just chuck the tripod away.

A

Last edited:
>>if u do opt for making your own as long as u wire them in series will be fine >>

Oh my, I give up, I submit to the masters... -)

So you wire halogen lamps in butyl? or similar . Oh big dear..
Your prices must be very expensive, and why do you wire in series?
Do you use 110v lamps or maybe 12v if stringed?

There is no big heat on terminals? at least there shouldn't be. Do you work for nic? newely part p ...ahhh

Assuming no volt drop, 1.0mm normal flex is fine. Just stick a 3amp fuse in the plug head, check the earth, if ok.
No one can dispute, and I mean no one.

Halogen lamps get red hot!
The terminal connections do not (assuming the cable does not cut across the lamp) which one has to presume it does not!

ps sodium lamps do not get 'hot' btw bulbs are grown in Holland and turn into flowers, lamps are man made and turn into light

Reply to Flood lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock