Discuss Flooded areas, increased work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ah every cloud has a silver lining, I remember the floods of 1978, we were working 7 days a week for months and months, poor sods properties and businesses, we where like JIB knights in shining armour

To put some perspective on this - anyone who's just watched the ITN news tonight was watching where I live. I'm about 1/2 a mile as the crow flies from Muchelney and smack bang in the middle of the Somerset Levels (though thankfully not personally affected). What will happen is that the inspections, remedials and repair work will slowly filter in once everywhere has dried out as that is how the insurers work - they don't touch anything until after the drying process has finished. But, because a lot of it is insurance work it ends up going to those on the lists (who do cr4p work for cheap) and not to local guys.

Then, sadly, you get to those who don't have insurance because they can't get any and they simply don't have the cash to get a sparks in unless it's really bad.

I can't speak for the industrial side of things as I don't do much of it (not a lot around here anyway).

Same as rockinkingit, when we had flooding local to me the insurance companies basically shipped in trades from All over the country who produced some ****e work, 3 properties down from me were ground floor rewired, they replaced like for like except no chasing in, all surface with cu's changed from memra rcbo boards to wylex RCD main switch boards and **** all testing or certs...
I became Mr unpopular with the insurance bloke that came round to visit the properties and see the pensioners....the bodge it and scarper sparks company went bust apparently and the lbc and niceic weren't interested in the lack of testing certs and crap work.

But as a local trade I was invited to go on the insurance companies approved list............for a fee and they would tell me what the job was worth.

We had our own flood 4yrs ago - not from 'flood' but from a burst tank in the loft when we were away. 100% devastation in the technical sense, entire property had to be ripped back to blockwork and start over. Spent 11.5 months living in a rented holiday cottage whilst the insurers surveyor/contractors messed about trying it on with all manner of shoddy work. We ended up having to get all legal, fired the lot of them and I finished the work off myself!!

And the joke of it was that had they have done what I told/asked them to do in the first place we'd have been back in within three months and for a quarter of the final bill!!!

On the old "ambulance chasing" vein...my pals and i,during the first gulf war,decided that so much aluminium,in the form of tackle,missiles and aircraft was being dumped,that the price of ally' would surely hit the roof....we built and operated a smelter on me mates farm and stockpiled a mass of ally ingots all cast in truck air receivers cut lengthways. We sat looking at them for ages waiting for that Del-boy moment....it never came,we weighed in during a desperate phase and probably drew just wages...ce la vi

On the old "ambulance chasing" vein...my pals and i,during the first gulf war,decided that so much aluminium,in the form of tackle,missiles and aircraft was being dumped,that the price of ally' would surely hit the roof....we built and operated a smelter on me mates farm and stockpiled a mass of ally ingots all cast in truck air receivers cut lengthways. We sat looking at them for ages waiting for that Del-boy moment....it never came,we weighed in during a desperate phase and probably drew just wages...ce la vi

What makes me think someone didn't do their homework?

Reply to Flooded areas, increased work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock