Discuss Floodlight and existing wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All

I am a seeking help and advice from you lovely sparkis, I have removed a old flood light which was fitted 25 years ago by a friend of a friend. I have replaced the old light with a new flood light with a sensor connected to it. I have noticed the porch wall switch activates the ceiling light and the flood light together, I have removed the floorboards upstairs and noticed the ceiling electric cable has been cut into and spurred off with another cable which connects to the flood light outside. What's the best option please can I do any of the following

1. Connect a junction box to the cables which have been cut into previously in the past and spur off there by connecting a wall socket so I can connect the flood light cable and run of the wall socket.

2. Find a existing socket in the next room and spur off there to the area where I want to fit a new wall socket and connect the flood light to that power source.

3. Or just connect a junction box to the old previous wiring which was cut and spur off there but it will only work if the light switch is on in the porch

can someone please help and advice ?

KInd Regards

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_201217.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20211120_121048.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20211120_121059.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20211120_121107.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 42
That connection is not good or safe and needs connection in a maintenance free enclosure. I would strongly recommend you get an electrician to redo that connection as it is realistically beyond DIY to do it in a compliant manner they can then recommend how to connect the new light.

That is a horrendous junction!

It is not clear if there is enough slack to allow a proper MF (maintenance free) box to be used, it might need another MF junction elsewhere to allow more cable to be inserted so it can be done safely and without undue strain on the cables.

Hi that joint definitely needs attention. I would put a quinetic switch in I think then the existing cable can be joined at the switch and used as the feed to the quinetic. The cables to the porch light can then become the switch live from the quinetic and the sensor light can be permanently live. (Or you could go 2 way quinetic if you want to switch both)
Sy

I suspect one or two of those cables are the loop and those cables used to be at a rose or pendant drop, maybe.

Hi All

I am a seeking help and advice from you lovely sparkis, I have removed a old flood light which was fitted 25 years ago by a friend of a friend. I have replaced the old light with a new flood light with a sensor connected to it. I have noticed the porch wall switch activates the ceiling light and the flood light together, I have removed the floorboards upstairs and noticed the ceiling electric cable has been cut into and spurred off with another cable which connects to the flood light outside. What's the best option please can I do any of the following

1. Connect a junction box to the cables which have been cut into previously in the past and spur off there by connecting a wall socket so I can connect the flood light cable and run of the wall socket.

2. Find a existing socket in the next room and spur off there to the area where I want to fit a new wall socket and connect the flood light to that power source.

3. Or just connect a junction box to the old previous wiring which was cut and spur off there but it will only work if the light switch is on in the porch

can someone please help and advice ?

KInd Regards

Jason
Leave well alone clearly the friend was not a spark and neither are you. Pay someone to do job properly and get bonus paperwork to boot.

Reply to Floodlight and existing wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net