Discuss Floodlight being installed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi i have been asked to install a floodlight outside a garage. There is no DB in the garage but there is a flourescent. What would i have to do to pick up a feed for the floodlight? The flourescent is the only way i can see of getting a feed.
I would be greatful for any help.

you would only be adding a light and switch to an existing lighting circuit. if a 500w flood, that's 2 more amps, so could overload MCD. Prefer to feed from socket ring/radial via FCU if possible. perhaps a low energy flood would get you out of the proverbial

Last edited:
The floodlght will have a PIR aswel. Could anyone please descripe the best posible way for me to do this. i am currently an apprentice so have a little experience. just want to make sure i do it right. many thanks

best way is from socket circuit,( ring or radial) through fused spur. 1. it can be isolated. 2. It's fused down to 5A. 3.It complies with regs. 4. On most PIR floods, the fused spur can be used to manually override the PIR by flicking OFF/ON

Not Quite. You MUST bring out same size cable as the socket is wired in ( usually 2.5) to your spur, then 1.5 or 1.0 from spur to flood

also, any cable installed below 2metres or where it may be prone to mechanical damage must be protected. eg mini trunking

and don't forget to replace the 13A fuse in the spur with 3A or poss. 5A and mark the fused spur accordingly

debatable. as i see it, its same as adding an extra point to existing circuit.

Reply to Floodlight being installed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock