Discuss floor boards in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

circular saw.

I tend to use a jigsaw to cut the board, both down the grooves if it has any and across the the board itself if I only want a small section up, going where the nails are to be sure you're on the joist.

cut across the joist run a circular saw down the tongue and groove . bolster up job done

circ saw or multitool fein type but just a cheapy one. most houses I have had the fortune of being in after the central heating so they had been up anyway and like Billy said not too well taken up either :D

I Have a cheapo feintool type tool from Aldi and so far it's been great! I will probibly get the bosch equivilent when it dies. Great especially if you need to lift close to walls ect.

Rich

oh and try and lift a board where two floor boards meet, that way you can set your circular saw at the right depth, and you wont cut through anything that may be running across the joist in a shallow notch such as a pipe or some previously installed ring mains, lighting cables and shower feeds, not that i have ever done that of course :blush5:

Whatever you do dont ask the plumbers to do it!!!!!

there are several ways of finding where plumbers have lifted boards.

1. water marks on the carpet.
2. creaks when you walk over.
3. bloody great draught from under floor.
4. 4" nails in boards, impossible to remove without destroying the board/s.
5. notches in joists big enough for a bus, rarely within the prescribed zones.
6. burnt and blackened joists and cables.
7. hot pipes threaded through, or sitting on, cables.

LOL tel, you also forgot the dam gas pipe that they lay under an existing nail hole that had been in the board for years and some unsuspecting person like myself 14 or so years ago goes to sort out the squeaky board and yep a second later hears a funny noise and the smell of an expensive Friday night emergency call out from British gas. never got charged though as he had some choice words to say about the gas fitters :)

Reply to floor boards in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock