Discuss Floor Mounted Sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electricphil

Is there any problem in fitting a floor mounted socket in a domestic installation? There is currently no RCD protection on the ring circuit to be extended.

I expect it would need rcd protection.
I can't see any reason why not, but obviously factors such as external influences and whether or not it introduces a trip hazard would need to be taken into account.

No Trip Hazard but what about building regs and the minimum height? Also what particular reg would require RCD if the additional wiring is not installed in a wall and the new socket is on the first floor - not likely to be used for outside equipment?

This old thorny subject.

If the building is "old" and you're not rewiring it totally the location of new sockets can be in keeping with the existing installation.

As for RCD's, IMHO its a MUST for all new sockets.

HEIGHT of a FLOOR Socket?????? its recessed in the floor I dont know the building regs but have in the past in big houses fitted floor sockets for tablelamps ect in middle of floor area

I agree an RCD would almost certainly be needed - it's not just for cables in walls, it's for the equipment as well, unless used by skilled or trained personnel, which doesn't apply in houses.

I'm guessing the sockets are for some specific purpose, eg a desk, in which case they should be ok; IMO there would only really be a problem if all the sockets on the first floor are floor sockets.

Reply to Floor Mounted Sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Replacing DB’s with all singing all dancing RCBO’s Problem’s we have now…Existing installation consisted of DB Grd Floor.. DB 1st Floor…Grd Floor...
Replies
Views
hi all come across a new build commercial office where radial circuits feeding electrak power track was protected by 32A RCBO at dist board and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'd like to move the existing socket that feeds the boiler down to where I've pencilled in that can be seen on the photo. The socket to the...
Replies
Views
Im starting a re-wire of a top floor flat, they have run an 16mm T&E with a 6mm earth from the ground floor to the 3rd floor feeding the CU...
Replies
Views
If someone made a request to you, to install a new double socket that would be supplying power to a tumble dryer along a circuit that does not go...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock