Discuss Floor sockets in concrete :( in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

One_of_them

hey chaps,

today I had to replace a floor socket and knockout box. It seems its been ran in steel conduit and joined to the original KO box using a male bush. Then concrete has been poured all round the box etc.
Obviously this is excellent for me to remove and replace so had a right pig of a job :rolleyes:

Im basically looking for advice if any of you encounter these quite often? Without smashing most of the surrounding floor away how is it best to get the new box back in? TBH i've got it in but was unable to get the bush back onto the conduit due to 1) no room and 2) the KO holes were too small.
I have placed a rubber grommet on KO to protect cable entry but just wondering if there may be any problems with not having the bush back on? Are these generally required as part of earthing or is it just to keep things tight and together?

Feeling a bit of a noob here so help if ya can pls

angle grinder round K/O box. ( mind the cable)

thin blade, hole will be smaller than socket face, any probs, use quick dry tetrion filler.

thin blade, hole will be smaller than socket face

hmm thats where I had problems really, trying to angle the box into the hole while pulling cable through box just didnt wanna work so had to man handle hence box is a bit mangled now. I think the hole may have to be slightly elongated but then its possible the hole will be too big so think the quick dry solution would be good.
Does this seem to be a common problem with floor boxes, sockets and concrete?
How about not fitting that bush back onto conduit, any problems with that??

again cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
hey chaps,

today I had to replace a floor socket and knockout box. It seems its been ran in steel conduit and joined to the original KO box using a male bush. Then concrete has been poured all round the box etc.
Obviously this is excellent for me to remove and replace so had a right pig of a job :rolleyes:

Im basically looking for advice if any of you encounter these quite often? Without smashing most of the surrounding floor away how is it best to get the new box back in? TBH i've got it in but was unable to get the bush back onto the conduit due to 1) no room and 2) the KO holes were too small.
I have placed a rubber grommet on KO to protect cable entry but just wondering if there may be any problems with not having the bush back on? Are these generally required as part of earthing or is it just to keep things tight and together?

Feeling a bit of a noob here so help if ya can pls

The bush does serve a purpose regarding earth continuity but if you have a separate cpc then it shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to Floor sockets in concrete :( in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net