Discuss floor sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ratboymark

had a of strange request today a customer is renovating a listed property and would like all sockets in the floor as it is being done with lime plaster ect all the old methods of building so the sockets might look out of place. Light switches are at 1200mm but unsure on how things would stand with the sockets not being at 450mm it is a spiral stair case so no wheelchair access dont know weather access would make a difference so the question is am i ok to just install the floor sockets?

My first reaction would be no as it wouldn't comply with the 450mm rule but apparently the 450 socket height and 1200 switch height only applies to new builds.
Talk to your local LABC they're usually pretty helpful and should put you right

Sockets would look out of place, but light switches wouldn't!!! well that makes a lot of sense doesn't it!! lol!!!

As for putting all sockets in the floor in a domestic installation, ...he obviously hasn't thought much into it....

My understanding, is that the heights specified in Part M are for new builds, where it is not known who will be taking over the installation.
If it is known who is taking over, then their wishes take precedence.
The heights are supposed to be to allow disabled people to have easier access, however I have been informed by some wheelchair users, that they prefer to have socket-outlets at a lower height than that specified in Part M.

About five years ago we did an installation were all floor sockets came in a tube concreted in the floor which came out of the floor with a simple touch down and were 1mtr in height.A simple push down thenput them back into the floor hidden away untill needed again.CEF I think they came from.

The CFE tube sockets sound like a really good idea i will mention it to her, also i agree with the above post with regards to the light switches i carnt see how sockets are much difference, but the customers always right lol! Luckily she doesn't have a problem with the install of the mains smoke alarms witch will most certainly look out of place.
Thanks for all the quick replies much appreciated.

Reply to floor sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net