Discuss Fluke 1653B supply polarity in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spoon242

I used my fluke for the first time today practicing on a test board I built up for 2391 paractical exam.

I went through all the tests and got to the live tests.

First test was supply polarity and I am getting a reversed L-N reading on the display. L-E read fine, N-E also reads fine. Confused, I can see it is all wired correctly, but have to do the test for the exam.
The test board is on a plug, however, by testing the circuit supplying the plug and with the plug removed, it also reads reversed.
It reads reversed on two other ring finals at other circuit around the building.

Hmmm, confused.
Could it be that my new meter is not working correctly?

The display shows three dots across the top with L-N using two and an linked arrow between the two. I read the manual and it says reversed polarity.

might seem obvious but... have you checked the polarity in the main incomer? (Not using the Fluke) Also try the meter and your test rig in a mates house - its worth a try. It's possible but unlikely the meter is faulty!

Oh yeah,

I tried it at differant boards. Im on a 56 acre manufacturing site. I will be trying it at home later to try somewhere completly different.

I have been advised and can now see my errors.

It seems when on the Voltage setting and when testing L-N, even though the dispaly only highlights the L dot and N dot, the earth lead also needs to be connected as part of the test procedure.
I was not doing this as I thought the L dot and N dot were the symbols to indicate with test leads are required to complete the test.

Lesson learnt, and onto the next tests )

Yep to confirm polarity you need all 3 leads connected. This is so the tester can test between
L - N 230V
L - E 230V
N - E 0V
Problem is just like the LED socket testers it does not show a N - E reverse

Don't worry mate you're not the only one to fall foul of this on a Fluke, it's something I often have to point out to apprentices and newbies.

Haha, seems silly now but I am glad I got there in the end. For the last ten years I have only used a fluke multimeter as I barley touched anything higher than 24v controls and PLC's

Reply to Fluke 1653B supply polarity in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net