Discuss Fluke 43b help and logging max demand in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dlt27

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I have brought a fluke 43b to log a local farm to see how many amps they are using at maximum demand.
The meter gives 3 readings for each time interval. Min, max and average. I would understand if the readings were between 2 time periods, but don’t understand how you can have three readings at any time period. Ie if I move the cursor the meter gives me 3 readings at that time period. I have enclosed images of meter screen and downloaded screen on pc. Can anyone explain if they understand where I’m coming from. I want to see the maximum load the farm is pulling and for how long. Kind Regards

Attachments

• Fluke 43b help and logging max demand C4EFA4C0-2C16-4E23-88C7-2D8356BCE7C9 - EletriciansForums.net
    C4EFA4C0-2C16-4E23-88C7-2D8356BCE7C9.jpeg
    492.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Fluke 43b help and logging max demand 2C7FBEA7-0006-489E-95AA-7D2DCCE280EB - EletriciansForums.net
    2C7FBEA7-0006-489E-95AA-7D2DCCE280EB.jpeg
    725.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Fluke 43b help and logging max demand 5A8F5D5C-6198-4801-AC05-3E6A63CCF1F3 - EletriciansForums.net
    5A8F5D5C-6198-4801-AC05-3E6A63CCF1F3.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 11
I suspect the logger only records values at, say, 1 or 5 min intervals, and the values you see (min/ave/max) when you move the cursor around are the statistics for the corresponding interval.

You would need to study the manual to see what the intervals are as "max demand" is kind of flexible. Your absolute peak max on very short intervals is the sort of thing that could possibly hit the instant magnetic trip of MCB/MCCB so clearly you want to avoid that, but for supply sizing and incoming fuse ratings, etc, you really are looking at keeping the "average" over a minute or so to below the rating.

The Devil very much is in the detail, or rather, your current/time characteristics of the OCPD.

Is it showing Max from the start of monitoring up to that point in time and the same with Min and with Average?

Just had a quick look at the manual.
The Fluke reads faster than the time intervals displayed so the MIn, Max, Ave is inbetween the displayed times points.

However it looks like Volt / Amp /Hertz is an overview, you need to be on Sags and Swells for more details records.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for replies. I thought it was max, average and minimum from start to the point the cursor is on, however when I move cursor max was 70A for example at a point on the graph, but before that point it peaked at 120A so if it was from start it should say 120A as max, but it doesn’t. The max, min and average change with each point on the graph. I can tell each point on the graph is about 1 hour 10 mins.
When I am logging the mains to check for loading should I set to sags and swells then?
The farm is on a single phase supply and wanted to see if overloaded. From the graphs would you say it is? Thanks ( sorry for being thick, was hoping it was just like a normal fluke clamp meter and would just give one reading for the current).

Reply to Fluke 43b help and logging max demand in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock