Discuss Fluke 6500 paramenter change for extension leads in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hiya ratty. i have a fluke 6500, the way i do it is to carry out class 1 auto test 131 as normal, when it does the earth continuity test carry on as normal, if it fails because its more than 0.10 ohms it will give you the option to accept the fail or accept the results as a pass according to the length of the flex, so you scroll to the length of the flex and press Yes, if it is within tolerance it will give you a pass result

What andy forgot to mention is that first, when it fails on earth continuity, you press the Setup button to change the cable dia and/or length. If you have it switched on (which it should be by default) the on-screen display should tell you this.

Cant get my 6500 to do it.......................back to using the table & calc it myself.

So what happens then?
You do realise that you can not preset the 6500 for extension leads - you have to do a test first, which then fails on continuity (>0.1 ohm) and THEN it gives you the option to press the setup button and alter the conductor dia and cable length. And this has to be done for each extension lead - a real pain when you are testing lots of them together. After pressing the setup button, use the right-arrow to move to the next field and the up/down arrows to select the dia and length values. It is not very user-friendly but is does work. The acceptable continuity changes on the display as you select different values for dia and for length.

Auto test 131 - fails bond at .83 ohm & displays retest press yes or accept result & abort test press No.

Try pressing set up here but nothing changes. only buttons that work are the YES & NO, yes just re-tests & no just accepts the fail & goes to memory/record test. pushing set up here just goes to the normal set up page (Bond zero etc etc).

Auto test 131 ...

Therein lies your problem. Autotest 131 is for class I appliances. Extension leads should be tested by plugging an IEC lead in to the extension sockets (each of them in turn), and doing an IEC test. You are in effect creating a long, daisy-chained IEC lead. It is the IEC test that gives you the option to change the lead length if the bond test fails. Doing a '131' test will not check the integrity of the socket connections in the extension lead, and this is the point where excessive connection resistance can occur with using an extension lead.

Reply to Fluke 6500 paramenter change for extension leads in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock