Discuss Fluke Insulation Resistance No Reading in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

notoriousgib83

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has come across this before. I was doing an insulation resistance test on a property practising for my periodic exam. I set the tester to 250v because I couldn't remove all equipment, when I went to test across the live conductors and CPC I didn't get a reading and the tester only 'ramped' up to 4v.

When I got home and tested it on my test rig the tester ramped up and took a reading as normal. Any ideas what could have caused this?

silly question but are you sure you isolated the circuit under test?

I'm pretty sure I isolated everything accordingly, I performed safe isolation and 'attempted' to perform a full board test. Would you recommend performing a test on individual circuits if this problem occurs.

Post the model of your fluke so some one with knowledge on the tester can reply.

If doing a insulation test the reading should be Meg ohms not volts so if it reads volts what is the tester picking up??

My tester will shut down and give a warning if voltage is detected and not alow you to test..

Hi,

It's a Fluke 1562. The tester is getting a reading of 0.00 Meg ohms and when I mention voltage the tester shows what it has 'ramped' up to. It should be ramping up to 250v as that is what I set it to, but it is only ramping up to 4v.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! cheers,

Andy.

well the meter is quite clearly giving you a reading - a reading of 0.00 Mohms. I suggest there's a fault in the circuit somewhere.

what i do once a month is IR test a 1 Meg. resistor. then i know the meter is right.

well the meter is quite clearly giving you a reading - a reading of 0.00 Mohms. I suggest there's a fault in the circuit somewhere.

Well no it's not because it's not testing at voltage. If it ramped up to 250v and I got 0.00M ohms then yes I'd agree, but the highest it got to was 4v.

Thanks, telectrix that's a good suggestion.

What has happened is that the tester can't apply the 250V because there is a low resistance between the test leads, I would suggest that whatever you can't remove is soaking up the energy the tester is trying to apply to the circuit, henmce the low voltage.

If the reading is between L-N then clearly something is on, if its between L-E then its getting to E through the neutral route - disconnect both L & N from the CU and try again.

Reply to Fluke Insulation Resistance No Reading in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock