Discuss Fluke Leads in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Fluke MFT 1654B, I have had this one for about 3 1/2 years now, ever since new, when you zero the leads, regardless of if its the blue red or green leads, which ever combination, they always come out at around 0.20 Ohms.

I have periodically had issues over the last 6 months or so when zeroing them, they give 50+ ohms which is clearly not right, so push in and out and then eventually i can get it to settle at the normal level.

Anyway, I have just purchased a new set of the Fluke TL165X leads which are the genuine replacement, and when zeroing them, the reading it much much less, its approx 0.06 Ohms. I have tried it over and again and it always comes out a lot less.

The connections seem a lot tighter which is good and the leads, I would say they are marginally thicker if anything.

I am not complaining or bothered and can only be impressed, but just wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing when replacing their leads? Were the readings about the same? More or less?

To be fair, 0.06 is good, so if you did forget to zero them, its not much really to be bothered about.

I use the zero adapter when using the plug lead as its easier, but no, not for the normal leads I don't.

Its the leads, I have tried all my old ends and fused ones too and it continually comes out very low.

Its not a bad thing, I guess the leads are just better than the old ones, like I say, they are marginally thicker I think looking at them, the connections seem much tighter too.

The old ones used to give about 0.2 from new and consistent too.

I change my batteries frequently and only use Duracell ultra.

Its the leads, nothing to do with the batteries.

There is a known fault with the standard lead set.

We used to have one of the original 1653 testers at my old company, it had simillar problems with the leads from new, then the 4mm sockets on the tester started to give up.
It's nice to know fluke still havent got themselves sorted out with these things! This is why I dont buy fluke anymore

Hi,

I have a Fluke MFT 1654B, I have had this one for about 3 1/2 years now, ever since new, when you zero the leads, regardless of if its the blue red or green leads, which ever combination, they always come out at around 0.20 Ohms.

I have periodically had issues over the last 6 months or so when zeroing them, they give 50+ ohms which is clearly not right, so push in and out and then eventually i can get it to settle at the normal level.

Anyway, I have just purchased a new set of the Fluke TL165X leads which are the genuine replacement, and when zeroing them, the reading it much much less, its approx 0.06 Ohms. I have tried it over and again and it always comes out a lot less.

The connections seem a lot tighter which is good and the leads, I would say they are marginally thicker if anything.

I am not complaining or bothered and can only be impressed, but just wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing when replacing their leads? Were the readings about the same? More or less?

To be fair, 0.06 is good, so if you did forget to zero them, its not much really to be bothered about.
something doesn't sound right mine is german and with the genuine leads just holding them together with my thumbs its nothing

You should always re zero your leads should you change then during testing, never just do it once. For example, if you use the plug lead, the dedicated one with moulded plug, this comes out at about 0.12 ohms where as the leads on their own come out st 0.06 ish ohms now. I know it's all very small amounts.

Shanky, can you explain the relevance of your profile picture, the Mrs asked that's all, and i said i have no idea.
? i like jack daniels.

long story but it was originally as a windup.

posts were deleted for less revealing images and avatars changed so.......

we are going back months though and i never bothered to change it, i usually use one that shows off one of my straight razors

fcf7bb93fa066df28930eaf03b22d319.jpg

Last edited:

To be fair, 0.06 is good, so if you did forget to zero them, its not much really to be bothered about.[/QUOTE]

I have had same issue with leads on Megger MFT, but not by 50 ohms out of kilter. Was usually 2-3. Replaced leads and spot on. My Fluke VI though does tend to go up to maybe 20 ohms. Bought some croc clips for it and the reading is again negligible. So worn contacts I would say defo for the Megger. Sort of definitely for the Fluke also, but I rarely used to take the probes off for anything until I got the croc clips, so I can only think the tension in the springs relaxed maybe.

The Fluke does not like cold weather either; that may well be the batteries more than anything else though.

Hi,

Post #14 was meant to quote you UK, but user error I guess by me !!

Reply to Fluke Leads in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net