Discuss Fluke Phase Rotation Testing help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Diver233

-
Arms
Reaction score
im hoping I’m doing something stupid so please chip in with any help.
Recently upgraded my 10 year old Metrel meter with a Fluke 1664. So on the metrel doing phase rotation test on the screen it comes up L1 L2 L3 and tells you it’s correct or not, if its not it actually tells you which is incorrect.
So today I thought I’d try the Fluke, so connected the leads and it says 123 on the screen great I thought, so then tried it in a wrong connection and it comes up 321 on the screen, then tried the third combination and it says 123 again.
Does not read L1,L2,L3 anywhere.
Is this correct on a fluke? Or am I missing something?.

im hoping I’m doing something stupid so please chip in with any help.
Recently upgraded my 10 year old Metrel meter with a Fluke 1664. So on the metrel doing phase rotation test on the screen it comes up L1 L2 L3 and tells you it’s correct or not, if its not it actually tells you which is incorrect.
So today I thought I’d try the Fluke, so connected the leads and it says 123 on the screen great I thought, so then tried it in a wrong connection and it comes up 321 on the screen, then tried the third combination and it says 123 again.
Does not read L1,L2,L3 anywhere.
Is this correct on a fluke? Or am I missing something?.
Don't think you are missing anything Mate, other than maybe reading the instructions a bit more thoroughly, we have all been there.

Don't think you are missing anything Mate, other than maybe reading the instructions a bit more thoroughly, we have all been there.

I think I am going to have to read them, seams to have a whole different way of reporting to my old set.
Progress I guess.
Thank you for the reply

I think I am going to have to read them, seams to have a whole different way of reporting to my old set.
Progress I guess.
Thank you for the reply
N o worries Mate like I said we are all, or most of us guilty of said sin of not RTFM

According to the instructions the only results it gives are;

123, which means correct rotation
321 which means incorrect
--- which means insufficient voltage, presumably 1 or more leads not connected or phases missing.

1,2,3 means correct, (clockwise) not necessarily L1,L2,L3, It could also be L2,L3,L1 and the same with incorrect.

I think the O.P might think the meter is Smarter than it actually is.

Sorry guys Its going to be a learning curve swapping to Fluke. Nothing acts the same even a simple RCD test is different on the Fluke compared to Metrel

There is no "correct" or "incorrect" when it comes to phase rotation...
You're simply referencing what you're reading against something else (when adding to an install), or something that's been previously measured and you're replacing a piece of equipment.

I'll get a 'disagree' for that... but if you are adding to a huge installation and its reading 132, instead of 123... would you say the entire site was incorrect and needed reversed?

There is no "correct" or "incorrect" when it comes to phase rotation...
You're simply referencing what you're reading against something else (when adding to an install), or something that's been previously measured and you're replacing a piece of equipment.

I'll get a 'disagree' for that... but if you are adding to a huge installation and its reading 132, instead of 123... would you say the entire site was incorrect and needed reversed?

Fun fact, most of the liverpool area runs in the wrong direction from the rest of the country.

Happened because of a mistake made years ago when we were transitioning from DC. It' s been the wrong way for so long now correcting it is impossible. The DNO are just aware of it an work around it.

Fun fact, most of the liverpool area runs in the wrong direction from the rest of the country.

Happened because of a mistake made years ago when we were transitioning from DC. It' s been the wrong way for so long now correcting it is impossible. The DNO are just aware of it an work around it.

.....and the understatement of the year,goes to.....:)

Had this question,from a young fellow.... I think sometimes,folk think the meter nomenclature,gives the colours,too;)

1-2-3,2-3-1 and 3-1-2,are all in the same direction whereas 3-2-1,2-1-3 and 1-3-2 are in the opposite direction.

This all sounds like dusty-bin is coming on.....

Just to clarify as I don’t think I explained the question very well on my old metrel it gave voltage then across the screen it listed :

L1 ✅ L2✅L3✅

If any were not in that sequence would put a cross, that’s all.
I had the old meter for 10 years from when I qualified and have never had a fluke so it runs totally different to the meter I am used to, and was not the reading I was used to seeing, may be a bit nieavely I thought all meters would give the same readings.

Another example the old meter would run a full RCD sequence, x1/2- x1-5x and list all the results after, as far as I can see so far (with out instructions) the fluke you have to manually change the range and re press test. So it’s just different to what I’ve had for ten years that’s what I am saying, thought the Fluke would be easier and quicker than the metrel being double the price that’s all.
So as Pete999 said I need to read the manual with it working differently.

Just to clarify as I don’t think I explained the question very well on my old metrel it gave voltage then across the screen it listed :

L1 ✅ L2✅L3✅

If any were not in that sequence would put a cross, that’s all.
I had the old meter for 10 years from when I qualified and have never had a fluke so it runs totally different to the meter I am used to, and was not the reading I was used to seeing, may be a bit nieavely I thought all meters would give the same readings.

Another example the old meter would run a full RCD sequence, x1/2- x1-5x and list all the results after, as far as I can see so far (with out instructions) the fluke you have to manually change the range and re press test. So it’s just different to what I’ve had for ten years that’s what I am saying, thought the Fluke would be easier and quicker than the metrel being double the price that’s all.
So as Pete999 said I need to read the manual with it working differently.
The Fluke will do an auto RCD test for trips times - when you're set to measure trip times, the F2 soft key to the left of the screen should toggle between x1/2, x1, x5 and auto. Once you've been through all the tests in auto, you'll need to press the up and down keys to view all the results.

MFTs all do pretty similar things just in slightly different ways - you'll soon get used to the Fluke and find it just as easy as your Metrel.

Definitely time to look the manual though! https://dam-assets.fluke.com/s3fs-public/166x____umeng0100.pdf

Last edited:

Reply to Fluke Phase Rotation Testing help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net