SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Fluke T5-1000 Electrical Tester WTF! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rustynails

rustynails

-
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

This may be the dumbest post ever but I've just bought this Fluke T5-1000 and I have absolutely no idea how to use the openJaw thingy. Is that thing a wind up!

I get how to use it with the probes.

For instance should'nt I be able to measure amps being used on an appliance by putting its cable through the Jaws....or am I completely off track.

HELP!

Aico 3000
Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers
G

GaryM

Yes. The normal way to measure current is to put the line conductor (or neutral) through the jaws only, not a flex containing line, neutral and cpc for example.

telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
same as with a normal clamp meter, but no jaws to open. 1 conductor only at a time. ( remember to set amps on the dial.)

S

sparks1973

no attempting to measure amps in parrallel either with the prods....

RogertheBodger

RogertheBodger

-
Arms
no attempting to measure amps in parrallel either with the prods....
Cos then it goes into vibrator mode, has yours got this option? it's OK if you can get your thingy in the jaws.

Personally, I can't.

Last edited:
telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
well, i can't get my thingy in the jaws, but i prefer to use it on cables anyway.

Strima

Strima

-
Esteemed
Arms
well, i can't get my thingy in the jaws, but i prefer to use it on cables anyway.
I can get mine in the jaws but there's a bit of a loose fit, will this effect any readings I get?

S

Swicade

If it goes into Vibrator mode while you've got your thingy in the jaws....then it's time to dock it in for a new model...

rustynails

rustynails

-
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can you use the T5-1000 to measure AC current using the probes and not the openjaw or do you always have to use the openjaw?

Reply to Fluke T5-1000 Electrical Tester WTF! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom