Discuss Flush mounted enclosure for ring transformer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had a quote today at a new build where they've not bothered to put any facility for a doorbell.

Customer has purchased a Ring Wireless Pro, which comes with it's own 24VAC DIN rail mounted transformer.

Given the location of the CU, it is not the simplest path for a cable run, so looking at other options, including mounting the transformer nearer the door. There are no handy cupboards unfortunately, so I'm looking at options to mount the transformer on the hall wall without it looking awful.

Protek do a 2 module din rail enclosure, but it's not the prettiest looking thing. A white adaptable box is an option I guess but again not perfect.

What I think I want is a small flush mounted enclosure with minimal protusion and/or a neat cover, but can't seem to find anything - anyone aware of one? The transformer is too deep to even put in a double 47mm backbox and blank cover.

I want to give them both options - trunking from CU and local mounting, then let them decide which they want to live with.

Bl**dy new-builds! I mean it's not as if they're cheap...but don't provide a doorbell, ffs! All too common, sadly.
Is there a possibility of making a "feature" out of the installation, like maybe a fancy wall-mounted light fitting with the transformer concealed behind it?

Think it was just the trend at the time!
It used to be wired systems, then the trend moved to wireless doorbells now people want Ring or similar which means wired system again!!! Developers haven’t caught up!

Bl**dy new-builds! I mean it's not as if they're cheap...but don't provide a doorbell, ffs! All too common, sadly.
Is there a possibility of making a "feature" out of the installation, like maybe a fancy wall-mounted light fitting with the transformer concealed behind it?
There is a light switch with neutral nearby so might be able to suggest that yes - Naturally all they've provided is pendants everywhere and even the one outside light is the wrong side of the door so not lighting the posh number sign :rolleyes:

There is a light switch with neutral nearby so might be able to suggest that yes - Naturally all they've provided is pendants everywhere and even the one outside light is the wrong side of the door so not lighting the posh number sign :rolleyes:
move the posh number to the other side of the door.

I've had been looking at this issue in my new build for a Nest door bell. The provided door bell hasn't the DC voltage for the Yankie Nest thing. There are some third party plug in adapters for the Nest, perhaps there's something similar for the Ring.

I've had been looking at this issue in my new build for a Nest door bell. The provided door bell hasn't the DC voltage for the Yankie Nest thing. There are some third party plug in adapters for the Nest, perhaps there's something similar for the Ring.
No sockets in the room sized hallway either - at least not at the front end.. who would possibly want to plug something in by the front door!

A 6 months old house, Dual RCD MK board, and armoured cable feed to the garage coming out of the carpet about a foot from the wall and installation method of 'free air' to the board.... At least it's in a walk in cupboard I guess.

A 6 months old house, Dual RCD MK board, and armoured cable feed to the garage coming out of the carpet about a foot from the wall and installation method of 'free air' to the board.... At least it's in a walk in cupboard I guess.

I wouldn't care what stage the build was at; if that had happened when this place was being built, they'd have been digging up floors to sort it and running a new cable if necessary. Never going to get perfection in a new build, but that's a bit more than a minor niggle.

The Electrical Contractor doesn't have the initials CE by any chance ?
What makes you think there is any paperwork that he would put his initials on?! (I didn't actually ask for the EIC, but I would put a significant wager on one not having been supplied, though it might exist somewhere...)

Thinking about it, do new builds have to comply with Part P notification? Nothing showing on the postcode so I assume not.

No sockets in the room sized hallway either - at least not at the front end.. who would possibly want to plug something in by the front door!

I‘ve a Nest cam out front, to spy on my neighbours. Comes with a long lead that plugs into a socket. Done it in such a way, you can’t see the lead. Sure you could.

Something like this

PS Why don't they get a refund on the Pro, get a Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus which has a rechargeable battery pack. Then they wouldn't have to pay for your services. Just saying. :)

Last edited:
What makes you think there is any paperwork that he would put his initials on?! (I didn't actually ask for the EIC, but I would put a significant wager on one not having been supplied, though it might exist somewhere...)

Thinking about it, do new builds have to comply with Part P notification? Nothing showing on the postcode so I assume not.
I was thinking more of a large company with those initials rather than a small concern or sole trader. I've seen some of their work, 1.5 SWA seems the norm for garage supplies and they have a knack of wiring DP switches with neons the wrong way round so the light stays on regardless. :)
Yes new build installations are notifiable under Part P !

I was thinking more of a large company with those initials rather than a small concern or sole trader. I've seen some of their work, 1.5 SWA seems the norm for garage supplies and they have a knack of wiring DP switches with neons the wrong way round so the light stays on regardless. :)
Yes new build installations are notifiable under Part P !
Looks like it was not a national company, but a small one, though not local - knocked down one property in 2018 and put 5 detached ones up - the one I was looking at is apparently a 4 bedroom and when on the market was guide price of 550k :rolleyes: Really is a way to print money if you have the up front capital to fund it.

No Part P notifications that I can see, though not sure if there is a way to check all of them - If I go back I will investigate a bit further.

Though I almost always end up explaining it to my clients who have never heard of it before, despite having had electrical work done in the last 10 years.....

Reply to Flush mounted enclosure for ring transformer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock