Discuss Following on from eicr thread.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Baddegg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Started writing up the report this morning and reading through my notes.....
What would cause an rcd to fail the test at the board, passed x1/2 @ 0 and 180 fails x1 & x5, so testing directly at the rcd but it passes at 6 sockets I tested at?....had it before where it passes at the board but fails at sockets but never this way round?

Too sensitive? Did you try a ramp test?

If there is a fault that needs the protection, it will likely be a dodgy appliance being plugged in... so if it passes at the sockets, then all good???;)

Too sensitive? Did you try a ramp test?

If there is a fault that needs the protection, it will likely be a dodgy appliance being plugged in... so if it passes at the sockets, then all good???;)
Thanks littlespark that’s my reasoning, but these things keep me awake at night ?.....I’ll be honest I didn’t ramp test, with regards coding would you pass or FI?

FI.
If you’re asked to do the remedials.

Were all loads disconnected when you did the tests? The rcd is probably fine, just over sensitive but within design specs.

I’ve put FI, no not been asked to do remedials yet but I suspect I will be......to the best of my knowledge they were all disconnected,big issue with low IR as well, the place is a shambles with sockets wired from light circuits and all sorts....

There are somes brands of rcbo that will not trip if tested at the board, you have to have a bit of distance for it to work (not much, a socket by the DB is normally fine)
The MEM2000 module range is one that springs to mind.
Just note it somewhere that this is a known idiosyncrasy of these rcbo's

There are somes brands of rcbo that will not trip if tested at the board, you have to have a bit of distance for it to work (not much, a socket by the DB is normally fine)
The MEM2000 module range is one that springs to mind.
Just note it somewhere that this is a known idiosyncrasy of these rcbo's
BG board 17th
[automerge]1575810378[/automerge]
What do you mean it fails? What readings did you get? Or did it not trip at all?
X1/2 @ 0 >2000. Pass
X1/2 @ 180 >2000. Pass

X1 @ 0 > 300. Fail
X1 @ 180 > 300. Fail

X5 @ 0 > 40. Fail
X5 @ 180 > 40. Fail

Last edited:
A couple of times I've had fails on RCBOs, similar results to yours, brand new Hagers. Unplugging the fridge sorted it both times, results came down to what you would expect.

Rcd testing should be done with all loads disconnected. If you suspect that something is still connected, then disconnect the conductor from the rcbo and insert the test probe into/onto the terminal instead and test.

Reply to Following on from eicr thread.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net