Discuss For a 13K peak (10K running) generator, what gauge wire and breaker amperage is required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Installing a 13K peak (10K running) generator 190 feet from the panel. The portable generator is housed in a shed at the end of the property. What gauge wire and breaker amperage is required? Getting mixed information. Differing voltage drop calculators and breaker suggestions have me confused and vary from 30 to 60 amp breakers and between 4 and 6 gauge wire. Anything else I need to be aware of in this setup?

I presume you mean 13kva
what voltage is the generator?

Installing a 13K peak (10K running) generator 190 feet from the panel. The portable generator is housed in a shed at the end of the property. What gauge wire and breaker amperage is required? Getting mixed information. Differing voltage drop calculators and breaker suggestions have me confused and vary from 30 to 60 amp breakers and between 4 and 6 gauge wire. Anything else I need to be aware of in this setup?
Your generator is going to dictate how big the wire needs. I’m going to assume that you have a 50 amp receptacle on the generator so having said that you will need # 6 wire with 4 conductors in it. If it’s going to your panel then you would need a 50 amp breaker. A picture of your generator would be nice.

Your generator is going to dictate how big the wire needs. I’m going to assume that you have a 50 amp receptacle on the generator so having said that you will need # 6 wire with 4 conductors in it. If it’s going to your panel then you would need a 50 amp breaker. A picture of your generator would be nice.

1654706761328.png

Thanks again for your time and knowledge.

Below the picture is the Amazon link.

So, don't need to go to 4 gauge? That is my main concern since it is a 190 foot run from the generator to the panel.

Reply to For a 13K peak (10K running) generator, what gauge wire and breaker amperage is required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net