Discuss For anyone interested in Eicrs , the Nag & his new wife are at it... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just had a quick look at that....is that Ze test and board strip being carried out with the main switch ON? Can't be sure, but it looks like it. It's a staged play.....no way would a twenty odd year old (at least) rewireable CU be in such good nick. It looks brand new with out the slightest hint of dirt. She don't want to get her fingies mucky.

Last edited:
Just had a quick look at that....is that Ze test and board strip being carried out with the main switch ON? Can't be sure, but it looks like it.
The switch is down, so it is off.

The piece of card (with "OFF" at the top, and "ON" at the bottom) moves with the switch, so that when the cover is on the word "OFF" is revealed when the switch is down, and "ON" is revealed when the switch is up.

Even though I know this, it still feels wrong when the cover's off, and the switch is pointing down towards the red "ON"! :)

Just had a quick look at that....is that Ze test and board strip being carried out with the main switch ON? Can't be sure, but it looks like it. It's a staged play.....no way would a twenty odd year old (at least) rewireable CU be in such good nick. It looks brand new with out the slightest hint of dirt. She don't want to get her fingies mucky.
Seeing that consumer unit makes me feel sick ? upgrade it then test it. Although he’s got a good apprentice there

Seeing that consumer unit makes me feel sick ? upgrade it then test it.
Why, what's the problem? It's not the CU that should make you puke.

edit. The switch does look like it's in the 'down'.....my bad eyes.....glasses keep steaming up with a mask on. ;)

Seeing that consumer unit makes me feel sick ? upgrade it then test it.

Can you expand on this please? It doesn't look like it's in that bad a condition.

I've worked on a few installations where you do wonder why you bother testing it because the need for some serious improvements are quite obvious, but I wouldn't say that was one of them.

As a layman I fail to see the logic in such a statement. Could you explain why, as an electrician, you'd upgrade an installation that a client is paying you to inspect?
Haha I’m not sure if you know my way of thinking? I’m a bit opinionated on the modern way, I most definitely do not like carrying out any work in a consumer unit that is about 30/40 years old which offers no additional protection and majority of them have undersized main earthing conductors and bonding conductors. I tell the paying client upgrade it and stop being a tight arse
[automerge]1594850751[/automerge]
Why, what's the problem? It's not the CU that should make you puke.

edit. The switch does look like it's in the 'down'.....my bad eyes.....glasses keep steaming up with a mask on. ;)
I just don’t like old consumers I always get slated but it’s my way I don’t see why you wouldn’t want to upgrade to a modern split load dual rcd and making sure main earth conductor, bonding conductor are adequately sized unless all these boards you do periodic tests on are fully compliant?

Last edited:
Haha I’m not sure if you know my way of thinking? I’m a bit opinionated on the modern way, I most definitely do not like carrying out any work in a consumer unit that is about 30/40 years old which offers no additional protection and majority of them have undersized main earthing conductors and bonding conductors. I tell the paying client upgrade it and stop being a tight arse

I get that part of your thinking, but surely you'd want to test the installation prior to any upgrade? Wouldn't you want to have some idea of what you're dealing with, before upgrading a board?

I'm not criticising, as I certainly don't have the knowledge to do so, but want to understand why you'd upgrade a board without knowing more about the existing installation.

I get that part of your thinking, but surely you'd want to test the installation prior to any upgrade? Wouldn't you want to have some idea of what you're dealing with, before upgrading a board?

I'm not criticising, as I certainly don't have the knowledge to do so, but want to understand why you'd upgrade a board without knowing more about the existing installation.
nice but NOT dim.......!

No butt, I do a quick visual inspection of existing circuits and functional tests (learnt from inexperience) I.e “my light was working before you came here” lol i don’t waste my time testing existing install fully. Whip round with socket tester to identify accessories on each circuit and do checks. Tell paying client that should any faults occur due to upgrade of consumer unit that it will incur little extra charge for fault finding. All straight forward and don’t see why many sparks don’t like to upgrade consumer unit

No butt, I do a quick visual inspection of existing circuits and functional tests (learnt from inexperience) I.e “my light was working before you came here” lol i don’t waste my time testing existing install fully. Whip round with socket tester to identify accessories on each circuit and do checks. Tell paying client that should any faults occur due to upgrade of consumer unit that it will incur little extra charge for fault finding. All straight forward and don’t see why many sparks don’t like to upgrade consumer unit

I'd imagine that generally works out okay, but sooner or later something is bound to crop up that is going to cost a significant amount of money to rectify. Combine that with a client who refuses to pay more than a little extra on top of your quoted rate...

It just seems like a much better idea to go into such a job with as much prior knowledge as possible.

nice but NOT dim.......!

nice but NOT dim.......!
im assuming you are a senior spa
nice but NOT dim.......!
I'd imagine that generally works out okay, but sooner or later something is bound to crop up that is going to cost a significant amount of money to rectify. Combine that with a client who refuses to pay more than a little extra on top of your quoted rate...

It just seems like a much better idea to go into such a job with as much prior knowledge as possible.
Ive tried over the years few different ways of pricing and find my way the fairest way without ripping customers off. Once you learn how to fault find properly with your testers rather than assumption it’s easy. Worst fault is Intermittent earth neutral fault on a ring main which has a load of sockets but aslong as you know how to use the socket adapter can find fault in no time loads of different faults some of it unbelievable. I don’t worry about time if something crops up I.e Rewire Worst case scenario needed I will do it and do payment plan with customer If they are short of money. Suppose we live in different parts of Britain round my area no customer is going to refuse to pay? Had that happened to you then?

Reply to For anyone interested in Eicrs , the Nag & his new wife are at it... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net