Discuss For the aged amongst members in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm sure there are many members, who have been in this industry for more years than they care to remember, and consequently are feeling the ravages of bad knees, elbows, backs etc, well I'm one of them.
I was wondering if any one has bothered to adressthe ravages of old age, and over indulgence of working in cold weather, not bothering to use PPE etc, and are feeling pain in the joints, some of us rely on alcohol, some pain killers.
Made me think, I have always been interested in magnetism as a possible health benfit, I recently purchased a magnetic bracelet, just to try to eleviate the pain in my right elbow, it seems to work, is this sychosomatic., or does it actualy help? would be nice to hear your experiences / opinions etc, open for the usuall p-ss taking but?

I saw a skull cap once that had loads of magnets on it, supposedly a cure for migraines, the woman swore by it and reckons it worked!? she said that when she gets a migraine on it goes and within half an hour its gone. otherwise she reckons the headaches go on for hours... she was recommended it by a Dr of all people! must be something in it

Thanks for the reply Gavin, makes you wonder doesn't it? some will laugh it off as just a case of being easily inluenced, I'll give my elbow pain and my neww magnetic bracelet, a few weeks and report back. That is if anyone is interested.

I suffer from tinnitus which is not classed as a disability but I believe it came about from working on building sites in the 80's.

Do you believe in "healing"

Oh and guys step away from the ---- taking on this one.

This is going to sound like a stupid question and i am sorry but how did you get a bad elbow because of the work we do? I understand about bad knees and that from no pads while crawling on beams and solid floors with screws on them and that but dint get the elbow bit.

And im only 29 so i presume i have all this to come also SWD i also have tinnitus but not from work it was from doing amatur boxing and getting a few punches to the ear.

How did I get a duff elbow? many years of swing a 2pound lump hammer, getting into difficult arear, lifting heavy weights, lots of screwing (screws with a screwdriver before some bright spark come up wit a dumb response) before the onset of electrical screwdrivers, the list goes on mate. Just remeber your young, don't forget to wear your PPE it's there for a reason, it will save you grief in your later years believe me.

I have a bad back and get cramp in my right leg very easily.
yes it usually happens when sprawled out in a tight loft space lol.
I have taken up to going back out hillwalking as much as I can, this is to keep my fitness up and general health. Also being out on the hills blows the cobwebs away and any stress you may have....

great advice re wearing ppe
I use a kneeling mat now if in loft spaces and take my own wood for between rafters.

You should hear the ‘old man noises’ I make when I’m in a loft scrabbling around - oooh!aaah! I can’t help it now.
Never do a day without knee pads, ear defenders when drilling or impacting. I wear glasses so that’s covered and I breath through my nose in mild to no dust but have a Sunstrom filter mask for anything more than that.
It’s a tough old trade but as you don’t do the same thing everyday, it’s all good.
Aaahhh!

I have a bad back and get cramp in my right leg very easily.
yes it usually happens when sprawled out in a tight loft space lol.
I have taken up to going back out hillwalking as much as I can, this is to keep my fitness up and general health. Also being out on the hills blows the cobwebs away and any stress you may have....

great advice re wearing ppe
I use a kneeling mat now if in loft spaces and take my own wood for between rafters.
Funny you should mention Hill walking, a favorite hobby of mineupthe wooden hill at bedtime, down the wooden hill in the morning, sorry Mate not intending to mock your pastime, just my warpped sense of humour, good for you hope it helps.

Reply to For the aged amongst members in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net