• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Ford Transit petrol/lpg No starter motor no fuel pump no spark ? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a 2003 ford transit petrol that has just had a replacement engine fitted
The van was started and ran for a few miles without any problems I stopped the van and went to get a coffee
when i returned to the van it did not want to start, thinking it was just fuel and a flat battery i went and got some petrol and parked my car close to it and attached jump leads and attempted to start the van this time there was nothing at all no starter or fuel or even a spark ?
I hae a spare an for parts and another running an here is a list of things I hae done so far
swap all relays
Check and swap fuses inc 2 on steering column and 1 on the positive at battery
ran new earth leads
removed back of ignition switch
tried to read any codes from ecu ( could not connect)
ran a starter switch direct to battery
ran fuel pump direct battery via on /off switch

I now have a starter working and fuel pump working but still no spark
I have not fitted another ecu as I think its a relay or fuse between the ignition and ecu and its only a 5 min job anyway so will do that tomorrow

Anybody got any ideas at all ?

join one of the breakdown orgs, AA, RAC, green flag, call them out 2 days later.

If you are having ignition switch problems this may well be an immobilizer problem , or a key problem . The actions you have taken up to now have just bypassed these, except for activating the ECU .
Try a battery in the key , the engine change may be just coincidental.
It does happen.
Was the gas conversion a later addition.
And as @spinlondon 's post check all wiring , as this is very common after an engine change , particularly with additions.

Hi Guys thanks for the response in answer to the Questions
a) I probably will get greenflag out but only to take it to an electricians
b) I bypassed the earth fr battery to body
c) I have not tested the sensors or relays yet , I did swap them over with relays from a donor van I use for parts though .but I will check the voltage tomorrow
d)I have a spare ignition switch and key so will fit that at weekend along with ecu and the green thing that goes round the key part of the reason for wiring up starter was to see if I had a spark and ignition swith had been playing up for a while the original transponder key and spare still work ok
e) the van was originally a factory lpg but the system was replaced early last year with a stag system
f )I changed engine myself it was very straight forward and had done quite a few miles before this problem occured BUT when I first tried to start it the fuel pump was not working , after taking off the petrol tank it mysteriously started to work again
I have 3 of these vans all petrol gas all same year engine and box one is a donor and another working van so no shortage of spares or ability to check out voltages etc

Reply to Ford Transit petrol/lpg No starter motor no fuel pump no spark ? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back