Discuss Foreign flags and foreign fittings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you've read my posts and noticed that I'm flying an Estonian flag, you might also spot when it changes to Italian this weekend. You might also have noticed over time that I am quite keen on certain European wiring materials and methods. For a bit of fun I'll post a few things that I like in this thread as I travel. Most countries that have their own regs have something to offer that is better or easier or safer, unfortunately you can't just pick and choose the features to create a gold-standard system as some are incompatible. E.g. I like Schuko plugs and I like 32A ring finals, but the two can't be used together.

To start us off, here in Estonia the wiring is standard European fare with a German basis. I went shopping and bought some materials, here are some examples of things you would not find in the wholesaler in the UK. Can you see anything here you would use to wire a cooker? (not that I wire cookers)

JB wiring demo coming shortly...

Foreign flags and foreign fittings 20190726_161751 - EletriciansForums.net

No, I'm working, but I get to move about. Last weekend I popped back to London, previous one I was in Helsinki with G/F etc.

I'm going to go with the flex (can't quite tell what size it is) the 5pin plug and socket and 3x 20a bottle fuses I think, and perhaps the connectors and adaptable box too?!
That isn't flex they are solid core conductors.

Yes, no, sort of. The 5-core 2.5mm² cable is KH05VV-F, bog standard general purpose interior cable used where T+E would be used in the UK but available as 2, 3 & 4c +E. Solid core up to 10mm. NYM-J also bog standard and same principle, but heavier construction.

Then there's the Perilex 3P+N+E plug. These are sometimes said to be a bit old hat now but still fully compliant. In the UK we don't have a 'domestic' or 'light commercial' 3-phase plug but Perilex is exactly that. You wouldn't want to a 16A CEE17 socket sticking out behind a freestanding cooker because you'd never get it against the wall, but Perilex is just the job with a flush-mount socket and right-angle cable entry on the plug. Want to clean behind the cooker - unplug and move it out of the way. Pretty reliable at 16A (equates to 48A single-phase) and a doddle to wire with 2.5mm² compared with wrestling 10mm² into back boxes. As with Schuko sockets the contact base goes in first and gets wired, then the front plate is just a cover. You don't have to flex the cables to get access to check terminations etc. Of course you only get these luxuries with a 3-phase supply to your house, and that has drawbacks as well as benefits.

why do you prefer Schuko to BS1363

I didn't say that. I like them both for different reasons, they are very different connectors. Schuko has the great advantage that any decent socket and plug combo will actually carry 16A all day long in a way that BS1363 can't quite be trusted with 13A, thanks to the soppy little heating element built into every plug. If you don't need the fuse, it's a nuisance; we've got BS546 15A as an unfused alternative and I like that too, but Schuko (and as George says, if you care about polarisation which I usually don't, CEE7/5) is neater and comes in a much greater variety of flavours.

Seems like it's just me that fancies the "ribbed" conduit thingy which must have many uses...some of them electrical related...

is the ribbed conduit thingy an expansion joint for plastic conduit?

Reply to Foreign flags and foreign fittings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock